Why is CDI Emu a scam? Was 25 Euros or 10 Games

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
CD-WHY
Burn:Cycle Activated

Why is CDI Emu a scam? Was 25 Euros or 10 Games

Post by CD-WHY » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:48 am

Allright,

some moderator nazi locked my topic, and I'm pretty soon to be banned from here.

My last word:

The Black Moon project list less than 15 working games.

I hate to hurt feelings and it is not my reason to live, but to me when someone sells for 25 euros an unworking emulator, it is a scam, period.
And people fall for it and kiss that guy's ass. It's upsetting.
The programmer should just the drop the whole thing already. It's pretentious to ask so much for a product that delivers so little. Others should be warned of this as they'd assume at that price that the thing can work. It'd be more polite to ask for donations to the project than sell an unfinished product.

Try an Iso ? To get a starting screen that functions until the game freezes 4 minutes later ??? It's a waste of time.

Maybe the virtual console was the option. The exact hardware emulation
seems to be bound to failure (obviously cd-I is a tough one, look at CD-Ice's success). I'm just saying...Don't sell failure.

Cheers,

CD-WHY

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 am

There's no reason to ban, I don't want to get the same discussion over and over again. Because we've gone through this for quite a few times. I thought that was pretty clear. So please, read the other topics, and if you don't like to pay, keep the free version and leave it. You're no kid anymore and we all have our things, right?

This is no place for this kind of spam, it's meant to offer support when you're having problems. If you have a problem, just email cdifan himself, his email is available elsewhere.

If you want to continue discussing this, hit the email tab, I'll take away this spam here anyway.

Happy gaming ;)

CD-WHY
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by CD-WHY » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:36 am

The word is not Spam but Scam, I'm not selling anything here but criticism.

>>>>>if you don't like to pay, keep the free version and leave it.

Right. Is it ok to ask if other people are working on CD-I emulation apart from CDI-Emu and CDI-ICE ? I think we need to start elsewhere fro scratch. I could help.

CD-WHY

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:30 am

Here, that's a different talk, that's better :) I highly encourage you to start your own CD-i Emulator although I think it's very difficult and you should know all the ins and outs of CD-i before you can do it, with or without help of people with experience. There are only a handful of people who really know the insides of CD-i. You know what, you'd get my total CD-i collection if you manage to get a full working CD-i Emulator ;)

cdifan, the author of CD-i Emulator, worked on CD-i Emulator for many years. It's not just a handful of coding you're downloading. When you've worked so long on your own 'baby', can you imagine how foolish it sounds when 'kids' want it for free right away, ripping it, even flaming about it. So their spamming the forums with this kind of scam. :roll:

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:26 am

Please by all means go ahead and actually try to make one yourself, and if you feel that the exact hardware emulation is the wrong way to go around it, well you might aswell end up just hardcoding and basically porting every game and title ever released for the CD-i yourself from scratch and then do the simple task of programming a select screen, or if you feel you are up to it why not make the entire thing purely in something like Flash for ease of use and distribution and then offer the end product for free.

I suggest that method as that is probably the only way to work on making it without having to know the ins and outs of the machine and its various components that I can think of at this time, all you would need to do so was to have a working machine, every game/title released for the CD-i and a capture device for the content of the games, unless you planned on making entirely new versions of them with new/updated graphics, audio, fmv sequences and controls etc etc.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 pm

tgn_rogue wrote:Please by all means go ahead and actually try to make one yourself, and if you feel that the exact hardware emulation is the wrong way to go around it, well you might aswell end up just hardcoding and basically porting every game and title ever released for the CD-i yourself from scratch and then do the simple task of programming a select screen, or if you feel you are up to it why not make the entire thing purely in something like Flash for ease of use and distribution and then offer the end product for free.
That is one way of going at it, but certainly not the quickest :-)

Sarcasm aside, it *is* possible to emulate CD-i titles with only a small amount of exact hardware emulation; you would replace it with exact *software* emulation instead. This is what CD-Ice did, but in my opinion it is *more* work then the exact hardware emulation route. The main advantage of the technique would be that no system ROM images are needed.

To do this, you would not need to reverse-engineer the exact details of hardware like I've been doing; the Green Book specifications of the system APIs should be enough.