Major Audio Sync Issues

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
djnforce9
Burn:Cycle Activated

Major Audio Sync Issues

Post by djnforce9 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 am

Hi there,

I recently just downloaded the limited edition of the emulator to try out and I seem to have run into major sound sync issues. This happens in all the games I've tried

Zelda Games: Basically the voice acted cutscenes play but the video goes way faster than the audio. I can pause the emulator and let the audio catch up but when I resume, the same problem occurs. Is there any limiter built in to this emulator by any chance? It's almost like it was meant to run at 25 (PAL) or 30 (NTSC) FPS instead of 50 or 60 (and on my machine, I can achieve full speed).

Hotel Mario: Same problem with the intro and even in-game, I notice the SFX lagging behind what I'm actually doing and sometimes music and SFX will completely cut out for the rest of the level.

Thanks in advance to whomever can help.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 am

There is supposed to be a limiter built-in, but I never got a chance to test it because I didn't have a fast-enough machine!

So I guess it doesn't work...

What machine are you using? Using Vista by any chance?

djnforce9

Post by djnforce9 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Here are my PC specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600, 2.40-GHz (Clocked at 3.45Ghz)
Video: ATI Radeon HD2900XT 512MB (x2 in a crossfire)
RAM: 4Gb (PC-3 14400 DDR3 Dual Channel Platinum Edition) @ 1302Mhz
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition.

So yeah, I'm on vista. I guess since you said your developer machine runs the emulator at 22FPS, you wouldn't have noticed the problem as I would imagine that you'd need over 30FPS for it to become a factor.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 am

It's probably not so much the CPU speed but the OS; my own CPU is 2.40 GHz and so isn't THAT much slower, really.

I have had earlier reports that Vista gets ridiculous frame rates, probably because the new DWM redirects the screen blits to system memory. I have to wonder, though, how many of the video frames drawn by CD-i emulator actually end up visible on your monitor...

I'll try to get access to a Vista machine for testing.

djnforce9

Post by djnforce9 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 am

Ah ok. That makes sense. I actually have the aero glass theme disabled but I guess that makes no difference (still uses Desktop Window Manager). This also isn't the only emulator that I've had limiters not work to a certain degree (no$gba is another). Funny thing is that the game itself seems to run at the normal speed but maybe in reality that too is running faster than it should.

Another thing that doesn't seem to work in vista in gamepad/joystick detection. Simply put, CDiEmu doesn't recognize that I have a gamepad plugged in (even if I have it already plugged in before starting the emulator).