CD-i Emulator Teaser Unleashed

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

CD-i Emulator Teaser Unleashed

Post by Devin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:01 pm

We've been working on this special sneak peak for a while now thanks to CD-i Fan with the CD-i Emulator Teaser site now open!!

Over the coming weeks this will be updated with new content including very spiffy screenshots and some GIF Movies of the emulator in action. At the moment the site includes the BOOT screens that warrant further exploration and also a single BOOT GIF Movie, be sure to check it out and post your comments here.

Finally a CD-i Emulator 8)

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Re: CD-i Emulator Teaser Unleashed

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:55 am

Devin wrote:We've been working on this special sneak peak for a while now thanks to CD-i Fan with the CD-i Emulator Teaser site now open!!

Over the coming weeks this will be updated with new content including very spiffy screenshots and some GIF Movies of the emulator in action. At the moment the site includes the BOOT screens that warrant further exploration and also a single BOOT GIF Movie, be sure to check it out and post your comments here.

Finally a CD-i Emulator 8)
Does this emulator will be free of charge or it's gonna be a commercial software ?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:01 am

A free limited edition version will be made available with the full functionality of the initial release, the only restraint being a three minute time limit per play.

For the first release and future updates including fixing compatibility issues and bug updates you will have to pay a small one off payment then you can enjoy continued development of the emulator.

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:05 am

Devin wrote:A free limited edition version will be made available with the full functionality of the initial release, the only restraint being a three minute time limit per play.

For the first release and future updates including fixing compatibility issues and bug updates you will have to pay a small one off payment then you can enjoy continued development of the emulator.
Honnestly i don't care paying for this, my CD-i broke years ago and the shipping when you buy one from ebay is terrific.

Will i be able to use my real cd-i cd ?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:19 am

At the moment CD-i Emulator only runs ISOs of the CD-i disc, so you'll have to extract the image to your PC. As mentioned before following compatibility...Digital Video and support of CD-i Discs through your CD Drive are the next big aims for the emulator not to mention complete emulation of the CD-i BIOS!! Big landmark developments in CD-i Emulator like this might incur a smaller charge to download the new program but this is still under discussion and sometime off anyway.

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:27 am

Devin wrote:At the moment CD-i Emulator only runs ISOs of the CD-i disc, so you'll have to extract the image to your PC. As mentioned before following compatibility...Digital Video and support of CD-i Discs through your CD Drive are the next big aims for the emulator not to mention complete emulation of the CD-i BIOS!! Big landmark developments in CD-i Emulator like this might incur a smaller charge to download the new program but this is still under discussion and sometime off anyway.
Will this emulator will be able to run .bin files. (Homebrew software)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:32 am

It's actually being used by homebrew developers at the moment for some new CD-i software. So as long as it's CD-i compatible and in an image format yes it should work. This is why CD-i Emulator is so important besides emulating the system to the ends of playing old CD-i software it's also the single most important development tool for future CD-i software. Now we just need someone to make a free image of CD-i PONG available!!

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Devin wrote:It's actually being used by homebrew developers at the moment for some new CD-i software. So as long as it's CD-i compatible and in an image format yes it should work. This is why CD-i Emulator is so important besides emulating the system to the ends of playing old CD-i software it's also the single most important development tool for future CD-i software. Now we just need someone to make a free image of CD-i PONG available!!
CD-I PONG isin't free ?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:05 pm

We need PONG! :D

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Comercial emulator?

ouich :(, will not open source...

I want a emulator of CDi for playing many titles (encyclopedias, media, etc...) of my cdi in the computer but not pay a very expansive software.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm not sure if the project will go Open Source immediately but maybe in the future it will.

The emulator won't be prohibitively expensive, the exact price point is yet to be set but will probably be in the region of 15 - 25 Euros, as I say this is still under discussion so don't take that as an absolute yet. Besides is that really alot to spend on a program thats taken hundreds if not thousands of hours to construct? Alot cheaper than your average CD-i player from ebay that's for sure and it offers more besides especially for the technical boffins!! It's an interesting point you raise however and one we welcome discussion of here. What's your opinion Ruekov? Feel free to rant on :wink:

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

related technology?

Post by oaacdi » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:26 am

Will the emulator be able to play related technology, as in CD+G or Photo CDs, as long as it is an ISO image of the disc?

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:00 pm

I belive about very expansive costs of profesional and dev., the time and the reason to return on the money.

I did because in the future I will have more time and notion to do modifications :D.

If you want a spanish version, I will do the work ;).

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Re: related technology?

Post by Devin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:36 pm

oaacdi wrote:Will the emulator be able to play related technology, as in CD+G or Photo CDs, as long as it is an ISO image of the disc?
If it played on CD-i then eventually we hope CD-i Emulator will be able to handle it all!!

I'm not sure CD-i Fan would like the notion of modifications to his emulator if it ever went Open Source and CD-i Emulator was still in development. Have to admit that it would be reassuring to see Source Code released at some point so the information is out their to the public. This is another point under much discussion but it's likely that the Source Code will not be released during development of CD-i Emulator.

Translations would be an excellent idea Ruekov, i've noticed with great surprise that the Spanish community is really interested in CD-i Emulator. Was the Philips CD-i that big in Spain?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:40 pm

The goal of the emulator would be to emulate the hardware part of the CD-i player, so I guess it should also play CD+G and Photo-CD (it would just run the CD-i application like a regular CD-i player).

I would be for open-source too. With closed-source there's always the risk of a project 'disappearing' for various reasons.