A really basic question.

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Spot
Burn:Cycle Activated

A really basic question.

Post by Spot » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:58 pm

I never owned a CD-I nor ever played one. Once this emulator comes out and I download it, how would I be able to play the games? Are there ROMs (or BIOS like for the Sega CD emulation) available on the Internet I can find, or do I need to have the actual CD-ROM of the CD-I game I want to play? And basically to play a game, I just have the CD-ROM of the CD-I game in my PC then start the emulator, and open it from there, and it should play?

Also, have you experienced a large percentage of games being incompatible? And lastly, will the CDI emulator you're working on support the North American versions of games, or is it only for European versions as of now?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:26 pm

Please take a look at these two topics in this forum:

"Announcement: CD-i Emulator
Sticky: CD-i Emulator Coming soon"

as for the rest, there's a statement that it will be coming in september 2005, that's not very long to wait :).

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:42 pm

Hey, I played a american CDi in my european CDi.... this is not a problem.
For playing a ISO and not CDI directly... it's not a problem....

The problem it's the DVC, but CDi Fan will work hard... I think :D.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:16 am

Yes, regional coding does not exist on CD-i. There are only some differences in the screen output, sometimes not all the CD-i graphics are visible. The CD-i internally outputs to a fixed format, which then is converted to NTSC or PAL by a PAL/NTSC encoder chip IIRC. I would suspect the emulator would work with this 'internal' resolution, but of course you'd have to ask cdifan that.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 pm

There actually is a difference between PAL and NTSC output (the former produces 560 video lines, the latter 480), but nearly all CD-i titles will compensate for this difference. This image is then scaled to your screen window (1:1 scaling is of course fastest and hence default, but you can resize the window).

All the player ROMs I've seen so far will support either PAL or NTSC output, depending on a command-line option. The emulator defaults to PAL.