Extracting Resources From A CD-I Rom

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Kao
Softech Recruit

Extracting Resources From A CD-I Rom

Post by Kao » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:42 am

I am very excited and thankful for a true CD-I emulator to finally be in existance, so please don't think my following question is the product of a lack of gratitude.

One thing I have really wanted to do for a long time now is dump specific resources from a CD-I ROM to my computer (i.e. sprites or background art). Will this be at all possible on the CD-I Emulator? Again, I'm just asking.
It's like 1993 all over again!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:04 am

It depends on what you mean by a CD-i ROM...

In generally, the CD-i system ROMs are fixed inside the player and contain very little resources; there's an 8x8 font bitmap, some background images for the player shell and a few language modules (the details vary accross player models). These are all in the form of OS-9 memory modules; if you have the ROM files it's not really that hard to extract them. The ROM files can be uploaded with CD-i Link which is freely available already.

But you probably mean actual CD-i discs. Here it depends on the disc; there are a few standards for storing resources but many discs use custom data formats and/or may have the data embedded in the program code. You can use IsoBuster to extract files from the CD-i disc; for standard resources this works just fine.

In either case, you end up with resources in CD-i data formats; there is some software available that understands these formats but it requires some digging. And for custom data formats your luck just ran out...

Now, enter CD-i Emulator. For everything picture-wise it's a simple matter to make a screenshot of everything displayed, wether the data is stored in standard or custom formats. At some point there will also be a way to save the audio output; at present there is none built-in to the emulator. But you could grab the audio using any tool for capturing sound output, from looping back the speaker output to the microphone input with a cable (note: this can potentially damage your audio card!) to sophisticated "audio spy" programs.

About sprites... The CD-i system has no built-in sprite capability; every CD-i disc out there has its own software implementation of the concept. So apart from just making successive screenshots (you can single-step the emulator), there's not much you can do here...

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:14 am

Excellent, you answered all my questions. Thank you :)
It's like 1993 all over again!

davcrag
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i artwork and sound

Post by davcrag » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:23 pm

If you really want to grab an image or sound from a cd-i player, why not do what I do? I have one of my cd-i players plugged into my video capture board on my computer. I do this with s-video and rca patch cables. You can easily record or take a snapshot of anything you want.
8)
Craig

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:12 pm

But it will be an analog grab and not exactly identical to the original.

You really have no idea how bad even s-video is until you've seen the digital originals, which so far has only been possible for CD-i developers.

For audio of course, the difference is usually neglegible.

davcrag
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by davcrag » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:16 pm

cdifan wrote:But it will be an analog grab and not exactly identical to the original.

You really have no idea how bad even s-video is until you've seen the digital originals, which so far has only been possible for CD-i developers.

For audio of course, the difference is usually neglegible.

TRUE TRUE..........................
:roll:

You are right on that one!
Craig