great job! keep up the work.. also arent you worried about ?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:08 pm

show me somewhere...

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:49 pm

There was a clause in the UK copyright law that actually gave you the right to make a backup copy and that you caould actually sue if there is a protection not allowing you to do so.
Last edited by tgn_rogue on Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:25 pm

tgn_rogue wrote:There was a clause in the UK copyright law that actually gave you the right to make a backup copy and that you caould actually sue if there is a protection not allowing you to do so.
Yes I remember this being quoted during the days of Amiga games when it was necessary to backup games such as the Lucas Arts Adventures including Monkey Island. The issue of making personal copies is still a gray area though at least to my mind.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:06 am

Well, a week ago I contacted Brein (the Anti-Piracy Cops in the netherlands) myself, and they confirmed you're not allowed to back-up software, including Games/Entertainment (ALL software which is copyright-protected). They also remarked you USED to do so, but policies has been sharpened about three years ago.

I believe them more than you all, heheh

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:34 am

Well believe what you want to but I actually Study legislation such as copyright as part of my college course. So I can easily get the exact documentation used (for the Uk at least) and I know a detective who i can also ask to get information redarding the laws from.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:38 am

It's interesting nonetheless. I mean if even these piracy warriors have the wrong info, it's a pretty messed up business.

As long as you're using it for private use or your direct range, nobody will ring the alarm....

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:44 am

Exactly .. Besides i still mainly just play the Games i actually own on the Cd-i I have.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:47 am

Still I'm convinced "tgn_rogue", "christw" and "unblestone" are wrong. After some research and sources from the government itself(even applicable for the EU), I am told, again, it is a big mistake for people thinking you are allowed to make a copy for your personal use of videogames (all software). However, the only thing which can make it confusing, is when your original copy is not capable of doing what it is supposed to do (ie. PLAY), you may copy the disc, only to replace the original one. Never you can copy a game for your own use. Reproduction in any form is prohibited. An old friend who is also studying legislation got me some copies of the applicable forms, so don't be fooled when other people say these things like above. Stupid vague lawsuits...

In this view it is also forbidden to download the game (apart from 'downloading being legal') even if you own it.

Apart from this, movies and music can be copied for personal use only legally. But, when a disc is copy-protected, you are not allowed to crack this copy protection in any way. (a little ambiguous)
Last edited by Bas on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:49 am

Another interesting fact is the copyright of (any) software lasts 50 (FIFTY) years AFTER the last author of the software dies.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 pm

Bas wrote:Another interesting fact is the copyright of (any) software lasts 50 (FIFTY) years AFTER the last author of the software dies.
Hmm... of natural causes? :twisted:
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"