What is a fair price for CD-i used?

Sell, trade or buy CD-i related items through this forum. All sales and trades are strictly private transactions, CDinteractive, Black Moon and the associated network accept no responsibility if a dispute arises from such transactions which are taken at your own risk.
phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

What is a fair price for CD-i used?

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:20 am

If I got one from ebay or craigslist or something what should I expect to pay for a working console and what do I need to look for in a listing? I am thinking of getting one to play movies on and I am considering looking at getting a few of the exclusive games if I can track them down.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 pm

I think it really probably depends on which model console. For a system that was a commercial failure, there sure seems to be a lot of choice. Later models or portable ones will probably fetch the most money.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm

so what if I just wanted one for watching movies on and my main interest was best picture and sound quality what model would I look for and what would a fair price be for that unit?

I know there are games I might look into but honestly unless the game is specific to CD-i and not just a port even a superior port I won't buy it because I have too many video games as it is and I recently thinned everything down to one copy per game period cuz I had some games across as many as six consoles and that was redundant and took up too much space.

I am not really picky so much about brand although my preference is Magnavox because my Blu Ray and Laser Disc players are both Magnavox and if possible I like my stuff to match as much as possible but it is not a requirement.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Hmmm ... I'm probably not the one to ask. I've a decent library of CD-i titles, but I don't enough about differences among models as regards to picture & sound quality, etc... Maybe there is some info in an older thread.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I believe that the 210 and 220 models have a SCART output so that gives good picture quality. Only downside to these models is that the internal memory has most likely gone. So no games can be saved. Also, I'm hearing lots of reports that the disc drawer has broken.

If you can find one, go for a 470 or a 490. They are mini sized and the battery hopefully will be ok. No SCART though, and only phono connection.

If you can track down a portable 370 player this offers battery back up and S-video connection.

Best of luck,
Alan

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm

I am not familiar with SCART, is that like Component or DVI?

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:54 pm

It's not really like either to be honest. It gives a good picture though!

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:44 am

well I don't even know what it is but I am sure non of my tv's have it.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 pm

ok well I did some ebay searching and DAMN those things are expensive even now and used. I think I am going to have to think long and hard before I drop that kind of cash on basically a curiosity. At least with 3DO I found a few cheap models but I image they lack the digital card so might have to hold off on that also. I am thinking I will find a cheap entry level player to get started and then look for the video card latter.

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 am

Those systems you see on eBay aren't selling for the prices the sellers want though. It's ridiculous, honestly--a handful of sellers feel they have a goldmine on their hands with CD-i games and systems, but they are dead wrong. Barely any of their product moves.

If you look hard locally, you may eventually run into one cheap. For instance, the person who made this thread paid $50 for his on Craigslist just a few weeks back: http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2723
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 am

yeah I notice ebay is not the place to buy this stuff. I live way out in the country in Nebraska a few miles from the KS border so my local market is a long drive not really worth it to bargain hunt for stuff. One of the reasons why I have not looked too hard for this stuff.

BUT since my main reason for wanting one was to watch VCD movies and I just dug out an old DVD player from the basement that actually plays the movies I am thinking I am good for now. Someday if I run across one cheap but I don't think I can afford to actively look for one right now. I was thinking it would be like playstation or super nes I can get consoles and games dirt cheap for those. Oh well.

prabmire
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by prabmire » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 am

The 210/220 only had scart in pal regions, however they do have regular rca phono connections, in addition to scart ;), i have a 220 i paid £25 plus post for it in unworking condition but i bought it as it was near mint, it took me all of ten minutes to fix the CD drive ;)

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 am

so this scart thing do they make a converter for other stuff like Component or DVI or is it exclusive to PAL? For old games and stuff RCA is usually good enough but considering my primary interest is movies I would like S-video at the very least if possible.

thezendog
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by thezendog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Dont be put off by eBay. I bought 210, wireless controller and 2 games a few weeks ago for £10.50. There are bargains to be had if you persevere!