RetroGamer Flashback Article

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

RetroGamer Flashback Article

Post by Devin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:32 pm

RetroGamer an excellent UK publication as the title suggests on "retrogaming", has an interesting article in Issue 20 from a play tester called Dan Curley who worked at Tiertex.

The Article which goes into some detail about the game Flashback also mentions Tiertex's involvement in the SNES conversion. Of course we also know that they were involved with the CD-i Conversion. I've created a topic on the RetroGamer Forums titled Issue 20 Flashback Article so lets hope someone that was actually involved with the CD-i version gets in contact!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 am

This is the same Retro Gamer than was shut down a few months ago, right? So this is an official re-launch, or did it have more issues since then? Never seen this mag in NL by the way....

Very nice to see Tiertex being involved with the SNES version. I would say it is likely they used that version for the cd-i version! Let's hope they will pop up and come and talk to us :D

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:26 pm

I contacted one tester who worked either on the Amiga or Megadrive version but had no information concerning the CD-i conversion by Tiertex. Hopefully Dan Curley will read the message and get in contact, it'd be nice to find the actual CD-i programmer behind this game. Although as i've stated before, being a fan of the game it's not the best version available it did have some neat cut scenes which as far as I remember are different and of a higher quality than those from the Amiga Version. Perhaps it was a port of the SNES version as you suggest. Has anybody here actually played the SNES version of Flashback and compared it to the CD-i version?

I'm a hopeless Amiga/Sega fan boy outside of CD-i so I wouldn't know! :roll:

...and yes RetroGamer magazine has been relaunched and started where the previous magazine left of with the new issue starting at number 19! It's a great revival and a brilliant read, reminds me of the way video game magazines used to be actually.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 am

how was the cd-i version worse than the others? (unresponsive controls, slow frame rate, missing levels or something?) to me the game runs pretty nice... I've never played a different version though!!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:49 pm

For starters the game has those horrible green tiled borders on each side of the screen. I presume to save CPU power for the animations, also the lack of sound depth is really quite obvious compared to the other versions and was really a great feature of Flashback. It is the worst conversion out of the bunch but to Tiertex's Credit the animations run smoothly on CD-i and the timing which was so vital in combining moves together work as well as any other version of the game.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:00 am

Flashback was one of the games that was ported to almost *all* consoles, right? Have you played more versions, or anyone else?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:02 pm

Amiga, Megadrive, SNES, Jaguar and CD-i that I can remember off hand.