If I were to sell my SMWW prototype.......

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Captain J wrote:ok but if that were true and this disc was used to start the whole iso spread, where did he get THIS disc? he couldnt have made it from an iso as it was used to start it. are you saying that this is a direct copy of one of the original prototypes?
I guess he got the authentic prototyp first, which came on a TDK disc, but wasn't able to make an iso out of it in the beginning, as the disc has an invalid toc and is hard to read out therefore. So he did a disc-copy instead, probably just to have a backup. When he finally found a way to make an iso a few days later, this backup was no longer needed and he sold it as an authentic prototyp disc.

That's my conclusion based on what we know. It might be wrong, of course.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Windowskiller, do you know how to make such a disc-copy? The Microcosm disc is the same kind of TDK CDR and in no way I'm able to create a copy out of it.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:21 pm

I would use CloneCD for odd discs like this. It has a preset called "Protected PC game", which will ignore all errors the disc has.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try this little tool:
http://www.cdtool.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:22 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:
Captain J wrote:ok but if that were true and this disc was used to start the whole iso spread, where did he get THIS disc? he couldnt have made it from an iso as it was used to start it. are you saying that this is a direct copy of one of the original prototypes?
I guess he got the authentic prototyp first, which came on a TDK disc, but wasn't able to make an iso out of it in the beginning, as the disc has an invalid toc and is hard to read out therefore. So he did a disc-copy instead, probably just to have a backup. When he finally found a way to make an iso a few days later, this backup was no longer needed and he sold it as an authentic prototyp disc.

That's my conclusion based on what we know. It might be wrong, of course.
so we are saying that this is a copy of the original prototype disc. even though its not worth much i guess its cooler for it to be a copy of an original than just a burn of an iso off the internet!
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:28 pm

even though its not worth much i guess its cooler for it to be a copy of an original than just a burn of an iso off the internet!
I suppose so. But it's a shame that you spent so much money for it.

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:52 am

WindowsKiller wrote:
even though its not worth much i guess its cooler for it to be a copy of an original than just a burn of an iso off the internet!
I suppose so. But it's a shame that you spent so much money for it.
oh well it was along time ago and ive had alot of fun with the game so no big deal! :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:04 am

You should see it from the bright side, those early copies also are pretty rare I guess! Whether it's authentic or not, it's still about the game and you were one of the first (after those hackers & friends) to play it. I can imagine the feeling when you first popped in the disc in your cd-i player...

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:52 pm

yes, it would have 100% been the biggest thing ever on cd-i and may have changed the cd-i's future!

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:49 pm

[moved, please delete this post]