General Informations

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Jaffar Sholva
Burn:Cycle Activated

General Informations

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:26 pm

At first, I want to say, that you'll better read my little introduction in the new-member-thread first. So I can begin with my questions:

-When did Philips cease (I hope this is the correct word) the production?
-Do you know something about the sales figures?
-Where (USA, Europe, Japan) was the console sold and when did they appears first (USA 1991, correct? But other countries / continents?)?
-How many games has the CD-i?
-Are the games compatibel with other country versions? For example: Can I play an european game on an american console and vice versa, with japanese Games (if they exists) and so on.
-Can you describe me a controller or give me a pic, on which I can see every button?

I would be very glad (!), if you can answer all my questions.

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:42 pm

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:19 pm

Thank you very much for the informations.

There was no Release in Japan I think, but I wasn't sure. But if you write "Japan: ???" I think there was no one ;)

Well, which one was the original controller who was sold with the first CD-i? I think there is no original controller, when on the following picture is one:

Isn't this one? Are there only 4 (or 3?) buttons and a joystick? How many controllers can be put on the console?

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:22 pm

There is a great story from the guy behind Philips Insight Studio who was responsible for all translations Philips made about CD-i software in Japan. So yes the CD-i was released in Japan although quite limited. Translations I'm aware of are all edutainment like paint-galleries, stamp-galleries, and early kids titles like Sandy's Circus. However, I've never seen a picture, so it's just from the man's word. However, the existence of Golgo 13 is a great step in the findings of CD-i in the far east. We all want to know more! I've never met a japanese CD-i enthusiast here ;)

Philips stopped its CD-i activities in 1996 officially, but european distribution offices remained open (or were sold) right in 1998. This was mainly the dutch, french and german house-hold (I forgot the names).

Philips was both a publisher and producer. They stopped producing CD-i titles in 1996 (with ADS's Atlantis project being a true remarkable exception). However, their publishing activites stopped in 1998 for CD-i.

However, their publishing activities didn't stop just right away.
The french part was sold to Infogrames in..... I forgot but it's definately mentioned on the board somewhere.

About the dutch part of Philips Media:
In 1997 the dutch part of Philips Media Publishing (All that was left of Philips Media at the time) was liberated (!) from Philips Media, starting the new SoftMACHINE Publishing company. Interesting fact is that SoftMACHINE published The Lost Ride in 1998, without any involvement of Philips Media. (It even has the SoftMACHINE logo on the back)