CDi one of the lamest consoles ever, according to.....

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:49 am

I guess that was how it always was for me so I forget people did buy new consoles. I got my first NES in 1989, my first Genesis in 1994 and my first SNES in 1996 and my first N64 in 2001. The only video game console I ever bought day one when it was still new was the Wii I stood in line at 7 am at Kmart, was one of only 2 people there, and I regret buying the stupid thing now. So I have always been behind a little bit so for me I never did think about how much a system cost cuz I never had the money anyways.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 am

You regret it? I thought you were diggin the virtual console ...

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:15 am

yeah I bought close to 75 games then I got into emulating on the PC, I spent all that money on NES and Sega games for the Wii and after I sold all my old systems and games. After a while I turned to playing emulators on the PC instead.

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 am

phatrat1982 wrote:the only games I had were Shadow Squadron, Zaxxons Motherbase 2000, Tempo, Doon, MKII, Cosmic Carnage, NBA Jam TE, Primal Rage, 36 Holes Golf (or whatever it was called), and Super Hang On and Virtua Fighter I skipped Virtua Racing Deluxe cuz I had the SVP version on Genesis. I got mine in 2004 so it was long dead and buried by then but my evaluation was sorta mixed. I felt MKII, Super Hang On, that golf game, Primal Rage and even Tempo all were no better than standard Genesis games.
Super Hang-On wasn't released on the 32X. You are most-likely thinking of that Motocross game. Super Hang-On, not to mention OutRun, would have been welcome additions to the 32X's library, especially considering the ports of Afterburner and Space Harrier were excellent.

I also agree that several games on the 32X did little to take advantage of the hardware. Primal Rage feels like the Genesis version slapped into a 32X shell, Mortal Kombat II looks cleaner at parts but still uses the old low-color backgrounds and rehashes some of the low-quality sounds from the Genesis version, etc. etc. I do disagree regarding Tempo though. It is a very colorful, detailed, well-animated game. It also takes advantage of the extra sound channels on the 32X and utilizes its scaling capabilities as well.

Oh, and you owe it to yourself to play Virtua Racing. The Genesis version is excellent for what it is, but the 32X game is leagues above it.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66