programming the Cd-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Cd-i fan29
Burn:Cycle Activated

programming the Cd-i

Post by Cd-i fan29 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I'm a bit of a nerd(to say the least). Whenever I get a new system I want to program it :P I was quite excited to learn that for the Cd-i I could simply burn my files on to a standard CD, rather than have to buy tons of equipment for programming cartridge based systems like my DS, Atari 2600, etc. Anyone know where I could find an article or two on programming the Cd-i?

Thanks a ton!

Jaffar Sholva

Post by Jaffar Sholva » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Sorry for the disappointment, but I can't say something about programming. But I'm interested what you are doing. Did I understand it correctly, that you programm own games for some systems? Is this not illegal? And have you sold any games?

I do not criticise your work, I'm just very interested in it. And sorry for my bad english. That's why I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

Cd-i fan29

Post by Cd-i fan29 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:23 pm

Jaffar Sholva wrote:Sorry for the disappointment, but I can't say something about programming. But I'm interested what you are doing. Did I understand it correctly, that you programm own games for some systems? Is this not illegal? And have you sold any games?

I do not criticise your work, I'm just very interested in it. And sorry for my bad english. That's why I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
Yes, I program my own games for systems, it's quite fun. :P

Illegal? There's a fine line for that question. I do not think I could sell my games for newer systems like the DS legally, but there are people that will pay for someone to make games for really old systems like the Atari 2600. I've personally never sold any of my works. I can however, legally distribute all of my work because I own the copyright for it.

With cartridge based systems(Atari 2600, NES, SNES, DS, Etc) you have to pay a bunch of money for the equipment to run it on the hardware. Other disk based, like the Gamecube, and Playstation burn the disk backwards or put security features on the system, so you need a very expensive devices to code on them. Where as with the CD-i it burns it like a normal CD, and as far as I can tell, there is minimal security, so I would only need my computer that can burn CDs :D

If you have any other questions on the subject I'll gladly answer them.

Hope that clears things up for you :)

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:37 am

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cd-i fan29

Post by Cd-i fan29 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:23 am

yokohama wrote:In that post you have some info: http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1255
Thanks, I needed the libs, and compiler. Programming each game system varies a little so I still need some documentation(like a tutorial) or some sample code.

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:06 pm

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cd-i fan29

Post by Cd-i fan29 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:30 pm

yokohama wrote:In this page there were some little examples of code, but actually don´t work: http://cdidev.emuvibes.com. It´s accesible by Web Archive, but the download links are broken: http://web.archive.org/web/200512010407 ... uvibes.com .
That's too bad, I'll look around for some more documentation. Thanks for the help, I got most of the stuff I need.

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:07 pm

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:49 pm

The emuvibes site contains sample programs in C using Balboa.

The CD-i stub download which is available from my site here contains assembly language sources and some documentation about how to find devices on a CD-i players.

You still need the Microware OS9 assembler and linker programs; I do not know if there is currently any site where you can download these. At one point they where available from oldergames...