Family Games 2 Compatibility Issues?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Jimmy
Burn:Cycle Activated

Family Games 2 Compatibility Issues?

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 am

Just got my second copy of Family Games 2: Junkfood Jive and the minigames that actually scroll (Zapp! and Room Service) weigh the character down to the bottom of the screen and don't allow the use of the "up" button making the games unplayable. Room service even distorts the screen with color bands at the top and bottom!

I've tried this on a DVS CDi, CDi 450 AND a CDI 220 and all have the same result (with BOTH of my Family Games 2 discs!).

This is the first problem I've ever had with any CDi game (all Family Games I minigames work for me!) and wonder if these minigames are actually playable? Is it because I'm using a USA region CDi?

All help appreciated!!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Did you use the same controller on each CD-i player, Jimmy? Sounds like the controller isn't working properly, then.

There's only one version of Family Games 2, so there's no difference in a PAL and NTSC release. As it seems, there are difference between PAL and NTSC players, but what that is besides a different resolution, I still don't know. You're the first one ever who talks about this issue!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:40 pm

It sounds like a possible NTSC/PAL issue.

Although pretty much all CD-i games were designed to function on both NTSC and PAL systems I'm aware of some issues, but this is very rare indeed. You could put it to the test as the DVS has an NTSC/PAL switch. However I'm not sure if American TVs support the PAL standard at all. Here in Europe it's quite common for TVs to support both NTSC and PAL video standards with a simple A/V composite hockup.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:55 pm

The technical difference between PAL and NTSC players is only the resolution (560 versus 480 lines, respectively) and the display frequency (50 Hz versus 60 Hz).

However, this can impact on games in major ways. It all depends on how a game is programmed. I know for a fact that Alien Gate plays differently on different TV standards (NTSC is either slower or faster then PAL; it depends on the version) and the same is probably true for other games as well.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:35 pm

I play in NTSC where possible! Especially in fast paced games like Plunderball.

Jimmy
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Did you use the same controller on each CD-i player, Jimmy? Sounds like the controller isn't working properly, then.
I've tried a touchpad and the weird mouse-like controller, both work fine in other areas of the game, just these two minigames have issues :(

Plus, the massive color bands that appear at top and bottom as soon as I move suggest something is wrong :(
You could put it to the test as the DVS has an NTSC/PAL switch. However I'm not sure if American TVs support the PAL standard at all. Here in Europe it's quite common for TVs to support both NTSC and PAL video standards with a simple A/V composite hockup.
Tried the switch (didn't know there was one!) and the screen turned black and white and started rolling :shock: I was able to make my way into the Doom service minigame and it seems to work. Guess I'll be buying a PAL to NTSC converter just for this one game :cry:

Thanks for the suggestions, didn't know there were region differences this significant in any CDI game. At least I know what I have to do to play the game now. A word of warning to future NTSC gamers who want to play this game I suppose :D
I play in NTSC where possible! Especially in fast paced games like Plunderball.
Plunderball is one of my favorite CDI games too :D Still struggling to make it to the third table tho :x