Burning backup CDI Images Question

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Jpe
Burn:Cycle Activated

Burning backup CDI Images Question

Post by Jpe » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:15 pm

I grabbed my CDI out of the loft today so I could show a couple of friends in a couple of days what it was. I wanted to play Space Ace and when I got it out of the box I found a huge scratch across the disk.

I downloaded the game in ISO format so I could make a copy of it and burned it to a disk like any other ISO and it didnt work and came up as a music CD.

My question is:
Do you have to burn the CD's in a special way? And if you dont, what CD burner software do you use?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:26 pm

I usually burn the ISO files with Discjuggler, you can burn them without any special issues (except for CD-Ready discs)

Beware of corrupt ISO files (apparently there are a few!)
Last edited by Bas on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jpe

Post by Jpe » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:32 pm

I burnt one with Clone CD, didnt work at all. The CDI doesnt even recognise it. Then I burnt one with Record Now! and that didnt work either, but it recognised it as a Audio CD instead of the game. :<. Dunno if its corrupt or what.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:35 am

Aren't they sometimes a bit touchy about the actual make of discs, can't remember as its been a while since I made any backups of games.

RIDER

Post by RIDER » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:36 am

Sorry to hijack, but I have the same problem with Super Mario Wacky Worlds prototype. Burnt it with roxio and wouldn't read at all, then burnt it with CDRWIN and reads it as an audio disc.

I've made a backup of all my legit games from the original disc using Roxio and they work fine.

My cd-i is a 370, was wondering if it's the cd-i that wont read the iso or could it be the iso is corrupt?

Jpe

Post by Jpe » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:56 pm

I got mine to work using Sony CD-R using Nero burning rom at 8x speed. My version is the CDI-220. Thanks for the help guys.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Ideally, you should have a cue sheet for the image, otherwise the burning program may not be able to know which format the image has. CD-i discs always use Data Mode 2, which was a quite uncommon format and may not be detected automatically.

Moreover, you should not just choose any burning program but the program that the image is meant for. So if it's .nrg, burn it with Nero, if it's .bin, use CDRWin, and so on.

philipscdi

Post by philipscdi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Bas wrote:I usually burn the ISO files with Discjuggler, you can burn them without any special issues (except for CD-Ready discs)
If i want to burn the iso file with Discjuggler, i must to choice the source .bin or .cue? And in advanced options, MODE=2?, BLOCK=? (2048,2336,2352?), TOC=? :?:
Sometimes CDi backup works fine, but often... no! :cry:
Help me please?
Sorry for my english, but i'm italian.
Bye
Roberto

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

In Discjuggler, I don't change any options. Take the .cue file (the .bin file never works at my PC) and push start. I've never fiddled with the options and it always worked flawless. Discjuggler is perfect IMO.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am

If i want to burn the iso file with Discjuggler, i must to choice the source .bin or .cue?
ALWAYS choose the .cue file, as that will tell the program with options to use for burning. It's not possible to tell the disc format from a .bin file.

dmtgamepack

Post by dmtgamepack » Fri May 02, 2008 3:40 am

http://www.imgburn.com/ <<<Its free and easy to use. Just download and istall. Select the .cue file to burn and make sure you burn it no faster then 4X. Its real fast and easy using this program. Just a few clicks you got your CDI disk.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat May 03, 2008 12:34 am

WindowsKiller wrote:It's not possible to tell the disc format from a .bin file.
That's not technically true if you know that the .bin file is a CD-I disc (or ISO 9660, i.e. regular CD-ROM, for that matter), because there are enough required data bytes at specific disc locations to uniquely determine the disc format (and this is exactly what CD-i Emulator does) of the .bin file.

However, I don't expect CD burning programs to do this and using the .cue file is always a correct choice.

djgizzo

im having a great time with

Post by djgizzo » Tue May 20, 2008 1:47 am

im having a great time with
imgburn
i download games
unzip
double click the cue file and it burns to cd

and best of all its all free :) some of the games i download are broken and some dont have cue files mega maze gets to about 10 or eleven and just stops drug was was fine though i like that and mad dog 2 and burn cycle i get killed when i take off and my memorys not working and i couldnt find a mushroom in the woods on lost eden but liked it as far as i got