hey everyone question =P

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

hey everyone question =P

Post by Vincent XIII » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:18 pm

well i was wondering what type of player to get any sugestions?
Happy Today! and remember Santas watching you! and he has a shotgun he uses on the bad kids XDDD

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm

that really depends on what you want it for and how much youre willing to spend. if you just want a cheap one to play games then a 450 would do. if you want one that can play movies too than you should get one with integrated DVC. if you want a portable player the 370 is the best I think. if you want one with a disk drive than get a proffesional model. or maybe you want something obscure than get a Kyocera player or something.

also be sure to get one from the same region as the software you buy, for example if you mostly have PAL software than you should buy a european machine. if you live in europe you would want a PAL machine anyway otherwise you would need to spend money on a stepdown transformer. some LG players allow you to switch region and power supplies so you can play both PAL and NTSC software in their intended resolutions.

XCLTempesT
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by XCLTempesT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:22 pm

don't most of the later cdi players support power input 100-240 volt at 50-60Hz ?
If that is the case, you would not need a step down converter, just a different power cable (or an adapter).

The CDI-740 player is last model Philips released, it is a beautiful player and very rare, and has the most options of any consumer cdi player (I'm selling one on ebay right now, ending tomorrow).

The Kyocera and Digital Video Systems players are also hard to get. I don't have them, but they seem very nice on the pictures.

For a full comparison between players visit the international cdi association website:
http://www.icdia.co.uk/players/index.html

I think the Philips CDI-370 (or goldstar equivalent) is probably the most useful player. It is small and portable, has it's own LCD screen, a replaceable memory battery, outputs NTSC or PAL and has all the options of the bigger players. (BTW, I'm also selling a Philips cdi-370 on ebay, ending in a week).

The cdi-470 (with Digital video cartridge) and the CDI-490 are good budget solutions (especially the 470 can be bought cheaply).
The cdi-450 is also cheap, and is imho much nicer looking, but doesn't come with a infrared remote by default, and has more limited connection options.

A lot of the older CDI-210 and CDI220 players have problems with the memory battery, so you can't save your games.
A lot of the newer revision cdi-220/60 and cdi210/40 players have reading problems (the cdm 12.4 laser unit, that was used in these revisions of the models was known to have a high failure rate, the older CDM9 and the later cdm 12.1 laser units are better).
You should try to get the last revision of the CDI220 and CDI-210 if you want those models (the cdi220/80 or cdi210/60). But these are somewhat rare.

The revision numbers I mention here are for the European (mainland) players. In the UK and the US there are slightly different, but you should ask an (ex)philips employee how the system works. I believe all US revisions add 17 to the revision number. So the European CDI-220/20 would be equivalent to the CDI-220/37 US model.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:32 pm

As long as we're plugging our own stuff :-)

An explanation of the Philips revision numbering system can also be found on http://www.cdiemu.org/cditypes/.

XCLTempesT
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by XCLTempesT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Cool!

A lot of good information!

:-)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 pm

XCLTempesT wrote:A lot of good information!
You wouldn't believe the number of hours I spent to gather this!

Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

Post by Vincent XIII » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:25 pm

thanks!
Happy Today! and remember Santas watching you! and he has a shotgun he uses on the bad kids XDDD