why the cdi did badly in the uk

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
djgizzo
Burn:Cycle Activated

why the cdi did badly in the uk

Post by djgizzo » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 am

the cdi was marketed and was bought by daily mail type blue peter watching toffee nosed school teacher Sunday school sorts (pompous twits)

this still shows when you read the posts on here with the we wont tell you where to get roms from attitudes looking down on people for asking but burning roms in there own homes (i hate them sorts of people full of s**t)

i thank the few helpful people on here iv read many good posts but i think the owners of the machines years ago were as much to blame for the direction the machine took

same today with the ds and the brain training rubbish games but people are buying them because its the posh thing to do then in years to come people will be slagging that off

i had a different set of games to many people i didn't get wand of gamilon till the shops were clearing out titles so my experience was a much better one than most id never played gameboy tetras so enjoyed it immensely had fun mucking about with caricature and robbed articles from compton's for my homework (Compton's is still the easiest encyclopedia to use) i did have zombie dinos and rising sun and didn't have a clue what to do and lemmings was a brilliant game and the music was clear and popper i also had escape (that was a bit strange) and caesar's world of gambling with the virtual tour and roal you own dice mode for craps great stuff hours of fun being amazed at the real hands dealing the cards battle ships great fun with the older generations of the family on a Sunday afternoon (before that awful murder she wrote and songs of praise came on)(its still boreing today in exactly the same way)(glad i got my ds for when i go round me nans)

new people are going straight to Mario and Zelda and forgetting what this was it was almost a PC experience on your tv and in many ways the game play was a lot better than on the PCs with no messing about with dos and that there were different controllers for different types of games

before this machine many people didn't even have a cd player and people that had cdis couldn't just play Cd's they got more from the new wonder discs they should of done more duel format music cds like the James brown one done a deal with a record company to include content on every disc and incorporate some cdi facilities into every cd player they made
also instead of making many different machines they should of made a cd-i2 with built in Internet and extra ram just cus the Volvo driver sorts of people that had these things would have to have the second one for there posh homes making 100s of them available to the rest of the country through second hand shops also using one marketing company with one marketing technique (it felt like) was a bad idea
this is for brainy people but can be operated by you ya moron was not a good tactic and what about getting the japs into it they really needed to be into cdi for development of it and sales (was there something political going on back then)
Philips have always been weak on promotion but strong on quality forward thinking developments
time for a new big thing from them but if they did come up with a new product it seems they would do the same again
i mean does anyone even remember there last marketing campaign advertising things like hospital scanners???

lol just ranting rubbish :)

djgizzo

i just needed to get that out

Post by djgizzo » Wed May 21, 2008 4:01 am

wound up and it helped me relax ranting at 4am :p

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Re: why the cdi did badly in the uk

Post by Shroo-man » Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 am

djgizzo wrote: this still shows when you read the posts on here with the we wont tell you where to get roms from attitudes looking down on people for asking but burning roms in there own homes (i hate them sorts of people full of s**t)

i thank the few helpful people on here iv read many good posts but i think the owners of the machines years ago were as much to blame for the direction the machine took

possesion of ROMs is kind of a grey area of the law but the I think that the general consesus is that you aren't allowed to have ROMs unless you own the original (legally). since those who manage the site don't want to get into legal trouble they can't publically say where to download them. maybe you would get more help if you needed to acquire ROMs for backing up software that you already own. they aren't very hard to find anyway ... ever been to "cd-i is great"? [hint hint]

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 21, 2008 9:23 am

the cdi was marketed and was bought by daily mail type blue peter watching toffee nosed school teacher Sunday school sorts (pompous twits). this still shows when you read the posts on here with the we wont tell you where to get roms from attitudes looking down on people for asking but burning roms in there own homes (i hate them sorts of people full of s**t)
You're wrong about that, actually. As Shroo-man sais, the reason we don't allow you (or even encourage you) to post links to illegal downloads is because CDinteractive runs on a private server. We're here to serve as a community between both enthusiastics and original developers of the system. There are actually a lot of 'old' CD-i developers lurking around here, and they wouldn't if this was a 'popular' rom dump place like, in fact, is available elsewhere and it's not even hard to find. We'll never deny it's out there but this is a respective place, thank you ;)

djgizzo

lol :)

Post by djgizzo » Wed May 21, 2008 1:22 pm

i was just very sleepy and got nothing else to do:)

i can see why reprisals from computer software people may be an upsetting thing to worry about it would be awful if those people shut this site down cus it has some very interesting things to read and its probably only a matter of time before cdi is available on virtual console xbox live type things and has people out there battling against emulation and down-loaders
i suppose it all depends if they see people like me as a threat
and if its finatualy worth there time and effort
although it does all feel a bit 1984 they are watching you who are they does big brother exist (every-time you make a post it is logged who is collecting that information they are lol)

thing is if i couldn't get the roms id be buying games off ebay (and am buying the games i really like after ive played them if they good
just want proper boxes and covers and cant be bothered to print them and stuff when they so cheap and delivered to my door)
=no revenue for the software manufacturers i saw that new frog game just be made for the cdi interesting idea developing a new range of stuff but anymore than £8 forget it although id probably splash out if they did a good job at Mario wacky worlds £15

ps bas
enough of all this rubbish i keep writing are you on here everyday i see loads of posts by you whenever do you get time to play the games