Ripping music

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Duke Serkol
Burn:Cycle Activated

Ripping music

Post by Duke Serkol » Mon May 26, 2008 1:10 am

Hi guys, odds are no one remembers me, I dropped by in the past to interview one of the people that worked on Zelda's Adventure background photos... but that has nothing to do with this post.

I just wanted to ask y'all if there exist some utility/tool to rip music out of CD-i games. In particular I'd like to rip out the music from the side scrolling Zeldas (Link FoE and Zelda WoG).

...I don't really expect any positive answers (I figure if there were, those rips would already be available on Galbadia or elsewhere) but figured it did not hurt to ask.
Thanks in advance!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon May 26, 2008 6:51 am

At least I remember your name! I can't remember anything of that interview, but I'd love to read, do you have a link?

It seems like nobody knows about how to rip the music of CD-i discs, there has also been no answer on a different post about the specifications of CD-i audio music as well. It looks like more people are interested in it (I'd love to hear the Litil Divil soundtrack again), but the knowledge isn't there.

What I always did is using my Minidisc recorder to record the audio (analog). It works perfect, although I remember playing Litil Divil I had to watch out little Mutt didn't fall asleep because he'd start snoring and disturbing the background music ;)

Duke Serkol

Post by Duke Serkol » Mon May 26, 2008 4:20 pm

That's easy, just google Serkol and "Zelda's Adventure" :)
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewto ... f62c5a1e09

I actually once recorded some music from Zelda WoG and most (not like it has that many) from Zelda's Adventure, but it was on tape, so quality was atroucious... and now I can't anymore, at least not easily, because my CD-i's internal battery died :(

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon May 26, 2008 4:46 pm

There is currently no single tool to do this.

It is possible to extract the music files from the CD using e.g. IsoBuster, but they need some massaging (selecting the right channel and/or stripping headers) before the data is in "pure" ADPCM format.

The "pure" ADPCM format is identical to the one used with CD-ROM XA and there are some tools out there to decode it; I think ffmpeg is one of them.

This assumes that the music is stored on the disc in "native" CD-i format; if not actual runtime grabbing (using either a CD-i emulator or a hardware player) is the only way. Many titles store the sound effects in encoded form, for example.

A future project of mine is to create a standalone "CD-i File Player" that would provide most of the above with a graphical interface like IsoBuster; most of the support code is already in CD-i Emulator...

Duke Serkol

Post by Duke Serkol » Mon May 26, 2008 5:03 pm

That all sounds awesome :D

I'd like to learn about this IsoBuster extraction method... is it possible for you to give me some insturctions to follow that will work for all the tracks in the side scrolling Zeldas? Or does one have to figure it out individually for each track?

If not, I guess I'll wait for your CD-i player to be ready :wink:

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 pm

I do have a few tracks from two of the Zelda titles on disc somewhere, along with some form Inca and Lords of the Rising Sun, that were literally ripped in real time from the game by playing it avoiding being hit and hitting anything, not an easy task but I managed to get the some of them, the easiest ones to get were the map/overworld themes for both Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon.

Duke Serkol

Post by Duke Serkol » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Tell me about it, I have recordings on tape :mrgreen: