The end for the 350?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

The end for the 350?

Post by Alan_Eng » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi everyone

This month, all of my cd-i350 machines have stopped working. I've invested in a few over recent years (could never have afforded them when they were first released!!) but each one no longer plays discs.

The memory went quite a few years back, but as long as you play a game that doesn't need a save or if you're simply watching a videocd, the player used to work fine.

It's a bit of a coincidence isn't it that they've all gone at the same time? I was wondering if anyone else has found this? Or have any other players in the range suddenly stopped working?

Good news though that the 370 player + a few more have battery back up!!

Thanks for your time.

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:27 am

that's interesting! But what do you mean when you say it's not working anymore? Does it give an error message, or it just won't startup anymore. I've never had a 360 so I have no idea about this. My only player at the moment is a 490 and it still works.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Bas,

When you close the lid after inserting the disc, it doesn't recognise that a disc is in there! And it also makes some noises. Not good! Does your 490 still have it's memory in tact? I don't think there was battery back up for those was there?

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm not sure. This is not my first 490 player. I bought this unit from a Philips engineer and the player was tweaked a lot (it was a test unit for research/development, the seller claimed). When I had a look inside, various parts were obviously changed, replaced and newer than the original unit. I don't recognize any differences in performance, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm wondering every time why and what that guy wanted to test with it!

The timekeeper part looks authentic, but who knows :)

lemmi
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by lemmi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 pm

well my 350 doesnt work anymore either now
after reading this thread i just tested mine and when you close the lid the CD spins for a couple of seconds and then stops. VCDs dont work either

looks like i got myself an expensive paper weight now :cry: