CDi movies with language selection

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
thomas
Softech Recruit

CDi movies with language selection

Post by thomas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:48 pm

is there such an option with CDi movies?

I noticed that sometimes Asian VCD movies give you a (left side speaker) mandarin option and (right side speaker) cantonese option.

I was just wondering if that was done with CDi movies perhaps? (for European countries).

Anyone know?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 am

XCLTempest once posted his experiences with subtitles on VCD's. I don't think there was an option for more than one subtitle, but I found it very interesting to see that it is possible to switch on and off subtitles on CD-i movies. OK, most CD-i movies (based on older VCD engines) had their subtitles burnt on the same video layer as the video itself, but apparently in later versions it was possible to make a switch.

I've never seen them using the option to use mono speakers so they could put two audio streams through both speakers, but I found that very annoying with chinese VCD's as it makes the sound terrible!