japan - sharaku video and screenshots

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

japan - sharaku video and screenshots

Post by Shroo-man » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:20 am

this is a thread for info and photos of any japanese related CD-i stuff. I'll start by posting stuff I got from gamest.com. here is a list of known software: (* = exact title unknown)

[PCIM 00001] Vincent Van Gogh: Harvest of the Sun (8,500 Yen)
[PCIM 00002] Paint School I (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00003] Pinball (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00004] Paint School II (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00006] Goruhugemupamu Supuringusuopun* (9,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00007] Battleship (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00008] Yuki Saito "Anniversary"* (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00009] F-1 Grand Prix Data Book* (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00010] Richard Scarry's Busiest Neighbourhood Disc Ever (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00011] Richard Scarry's Best Neighbourhood Disc Ever (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00012] Visit to Sesame Street Letters, A (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00013] Visit to Sesame Street Numbers, A (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00014] Louis Armstrong: An American Songbook (4,500 Yen)
[PCIM 00015] Pavorotti: O Sole Mio (4,500 Yen)
[PCIM 00016] Cartoon Jukebox (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00017] Renaissance of Florence, The (8,500 Yen)
[PCIM 00018] Golgo 13 (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00019] Mah-jong (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00021] Richard Scarry's Best Neighbourhood Disc Ever (7,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00024] Cyber Soldier Sharaku (7,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00025] Mozart: A Musical Biography (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00035] Mystic Midway (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00036] Earth Rythms (4,500 Yen)
[PCIM 00038] Jigsaw (6,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00041] TR-I No World Order (5,800 Yen)
[PCIM 00042] Video Speedway (7,800 Yen)
[PCIX 00001] Aiueo* (6,000 Yen)
Last edited by Shroo-man on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:31 am

hardware photos from gamest.com

Sony IVO-V10

Philips CD-i 550

Magnavox CD-i 550

Manna Space CD-i 550

it also mentions a CD-i 250 player but there is no photo or info

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

cyber soldier sharaku

Post by Shroo-man » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 am

here are the Cyber Soldier Sharaku photos I promised, enjoy. it would be great to see some screenshots from the other jap games - Golgo 13 and Mah-jong. if someone has one of them please post some shots

Last edited by Shroo-man on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:03 pm

The game looks great.

Thanks for posting the list of Japanese games above and the screenshots for Cyber Soldier Sharaku.

I'm a big fan of FMV games so i'm really excited about this one!

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:27 pm

I've borrowed a friends computer - which has a video capture card!! So you know what that means: Cyber Soldier Sharaku game footage and decent ingame screenshots. I just filmed the introduction as it took me long enough to work out how to do that. Next time I'll record the rest of the game and post a lot more screenshots. Enjoy the first screenshots of a Japanese CD-i game:

Developer
Title Screen
Sharaku (player)
Boss (your boss)
Syzar (final boss)
Junk (first boss) weak/strong points,
Syzar weak/strong points
Zara (second boss) weak/strong points

watch the intro

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Nice :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 am

sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but i love this! Never thought Japan would have japan only games, moreover Golgo 13 looked like a hoax to me because I've never seen a real copy! Very nice, too bad I didn't buy it ;)

Would you like to write a review for Interactive Dreams?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:09 pm

it must be a real game though, the cover is on that gamest site.

yeah no worries I'll write a review, or at least try. It may be difficult because I know very little of the story line. And there isn't much else to write about besides a few simple action sequences.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:08 am

sorry for the long delay, i've been really busy lately starting a new job and such. anyway I tried to write something, but it might not be very good as I don't really write a lot and there was not a lot to write about. once I get some more time I'll add in screenshots spanning the whole game. here it is -

Cyber Soldier Sharaku

Cyber Soldier Sharaku is a Japanese game presumadely made about an anime. Set in the town of Edo in the year 7000, its a world populated by intelligent humanoid-animals where the tradional ways and advanced technology coexist. Sharaku, the player's character, appears to be a mercenary known as a Cyber Soldier working for some sort of organization trying to save the world. Your boss gives you a mission where you must go to Edo and to defeat Syzar and his henchmen: Junk and Nara.

It's a point and click adventure and a very limited and linear one at that. There is no graphical user interface and during the game you have very few options of what to do. Basically if what you're doing doesn't advance you in the game than you would of already seen it. The game-style is similar to "Kingdom: The Far Reaches" except that instead of choosing your location on the map you make your way around by choosing direction. What you can interact with while exploring is basically limited to talking with NPCs but on a couple occasions you can interact with items. There are also boss battles where you have multiple attacks to choose from by clicking on a specific area of the bosses' body. Basically to beat a boss you must select the correct attack using the information you see on the computer at the very beginning. However if you select the wrong attack the player won't be killed so you can always win by trial and error if you don't know where to hit.

Despite the games crippling limitations and that it's entirely in Japanese, the hour or so that it takes to complete is actually quite entertaining. The unenventful talking parts are regularly interspersed by a cutscene such as an action sequence. So there is usually something interesting happening in the story, you never spend too long talking before you can advance or a cutscene occurs. At the beginning of the game, before you aquire your weapon (a pole), there is an action sequence where a couple guys try to start trouble in a restaraunt. One of them uppercuts a bystander and than throws a punch Sharaku, who grabs his fist and twists his arm around disabling the attacker. Not long after that there is a fairly long cutscene when you find your main ally - Naigan. She takes you a laboratory of some sort where she gives you high tech glasses capable of identifying the tyrant. The player automatically uses those glasses at the performances in the town in order to find Syzar.

The boss battles are deifinitely the best parts of the game, the anime-style action sequences and the inclusion of blood make them quite entertaining. Also the multiple choices of attacks during the battles means they are the most interactive part of the game. During the first battle with Junk you must cripple his arm because he blocks your attacks with his claw. Once he can't use his arm than he can be easily hit in a vulnerable spot and defeated. The battle with Zara is the worst one, you only have 1 second to be able to move the cursor and click before being hit by a fireball. This can get quite annoying as it might take a long time before you are able to hit the right spot. A doppleganger of the boss will appear and you must decide which is the real one before attacking and killing her. By far the most spectacular battle is the one at the end with Syzar. The character fails with his first attacks to do any damage and the boss retaliates by smashing him through a wall. Then the battle takes to the roof of a tall pagoda where they fight in true anime style: flying into the air, throwing energy balls and surviving massive explosions.

In conclusion the game is an interesting one that is definitely worthy of a playthrough. However it loses its entertainment value very quickly because it is so linear. Therefore you should treat it as a curiosity, if you play it expecting decent gameplay than you will be dissapointed. Because it's one of the few games developed in and exclusive to Japan that makes it one very interesting CD-i obscurity!