Accelerator CD-i soundtrack

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Accelerator CD-i soundtrack

Post by Bas » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:18 pm

the soundtrack is marvelous, really! I would like to ask if someone knows if track 1, 3 and 4 are supported by some movie quotes or something? I would like to know who said it, and if it comes from a movie, game or book perhaps? Or is all it homemade SPC fiction?

Like in track 1 it goes like "You're gonna die any minute", "Punishing" (or something like that), and some monsters crawling I don't understand.

In track 3: "I'll tell you what, it takes a lot more than a couple of car bombs if you .... off this case (hard to understand)... " It's Showtime" "How could I get myself into this, I could just have taken the bus"
"...most thing in the world, there's no way we can make it, we're just like a huge moving target" (who understands it!!!)

track 4 : "ok, ladies and gentlemen, (??) - "you're obviously not going anywhere in that car""follow that car" "now that's what I call a couple of...?

track 5: "It's the last thing I'll do" -

it sounds like a whole story they're trying to tell in those tracks. (wonderful)

Who can tell some background on these tracks? The disc said it's written by Matthew Sugden, which sounds like a brother of the coder: Ben Sugden. (From Black Moon: " It was initially written by a student Ben Sugden on a working vacation to SPC Vision. He designed the core concept of the game but left it in an unfinished state when his vacation was out. The game was developed on and off by various SPC staff ")

Bewdy
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Bewdy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 am

Hi, I'm Matt Sugden and I did the music for accelerator while my brother Ben worked on the game in Holland over the summer.

I was 16/17 when I wrote the music and it was a nice little earner for someone still at college! Also paved the way for me to get into computer game music which I did for about 9 years afterwards.

So I can tell you anything you'd like to know about the music creation. At the time it was quite a cool thing to have voice samples in music as it was really prevelant in the charts, so to start with I trawled through loads of car films, like cannon ball run "ladies and gentlemen start your engines" and smokey and the bandit to get some car related sound bites and to start with was syncing them up with an analogue cassette tape would you beleive! madness

it wasn't until I got my first payment that I blew the whole lot on a digital sampler (woo hoo) and redid all the tracks with that instead.

once I started playing around with the voice samples I then that started looking at other films with just good stuff in them, I think one I ripped a lot off was robocop "i like it" and "boink" sound, which came from the SUX2000 car advert in the film!!

Basically there was a whole tonne of other stuff too, like "couple of car bombs" was emilio estavez in the film with danny glover, I can't remember the film name but it was a cop spoof, and "it's showtime" was lex luthor from the new adventures of superman.

My personal favourite sample of the whole project though was the big scary orchestral stab, "dun don derrrrr" which I nicked from ren and stimpy show, which I watched all the time during the project, ah memories.

Glad you like the music, if you have any other questions let me know!

matt

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am

I emailed Ben indeed to find out if you were related to him, that was the easiest way to track you down! Thanks for joining here Matt!

I really appreciate these details of the soundtrack! So you have made more computer game music? What kind of, which games, can I listen to some more somewhere? Have you done more music for CD-i games, or for SPC Vision?

It's true that this soundtrack woke my interest in electronic music which I'm still listening to these very days!!

Bewdy
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Bewdy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Bas, it's really great to get feedback on music I've worked on in the past.

Yeah i did a lot of work in games after I left college, often crossing paths with Ben. In the end I think i worked on about 35 games in the nine years I worked in the industry, on pretty much all the later generation consoles. You get pimped around a bit when you work in audio and end up on a lot of projects!

I'm not sure what there is in the public domain to listen to, as all of my work was on commercial projects, but a quick google of my name brings up a load of the titles I've had a hand in.

i only did the one cd-i project though, then I had to get some school work done!