ACE magazine - great old source!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

ACE magazine - great old source!

Post by Merijn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 am

Some of you may remember ACE magazine. In many ways it was the EDGE magazine of the 80s/early 90's. It's also the magazine that first drew my attention to CDi.. one issue had a picture of Star wars on it, and a CDI player wiht the text 'you've seen the movie, played the game - now play the movie" .. Or something like that.

Anyway, there is this great site: www.old-computer-mags.com which tries to preserve old computer magazines. (Would be nice to see CDI magzine there too). They feature some of the OLD ACE magazines.

Check out page 27 in issue 21 for a so-called CDI pilot system in use by Electronic Arts. Pretty cool.

They say they will have the complete CDI story in issue 22, but unfortunately that issue is not availabe on the site. First mention on CDi in issue 9 btw (that could be the one I saw some 18 years ago), would be great if they could add that to the site!

Other mentions of CDI in issue 9,21,22,24,32,33,35) ... Check it out!

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:51 am

Nice site!

It would be nice to see CD-i magazines uploaded there (Or somewhere).

There only thin as well so I bet they will only take a couple of hours to scan (At the most per issue).

If I was to scan what I have, would they be best uploaded here or at that site do you think?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Nice! That 'pilot system' EA is showing here is the same as you can see in video right here! Still amazing to read/see what EA was planning on CD-i, especially with their own child (=3DO) in mind!