What titles are actually "rare" ?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
tlh
Burn:Cycle Activated

What titles are actually "rare" ?

Post by tlh » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:03 am

After digging through my CDI"s, I was wondering what titles are actually rare ones. For example, is Atlantis considered rare, Flashback or perhaps 7th Guest? Or are only foreign titles that I have never heard of "rare." I have a title called NFL Hall of Fame Football, which is by the way a terrible game, but I recall that it was hard to find at the time. So, is there a comprenesive list that everyone agrees on which lists the rarity of a particular title? Thanks.. tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:53 am

It is heavily depending on time and place when one of us think a title is rare on CD-i. I see the second market has changed over the years although a number of titles just had a small pressing, especially the games that were releases in 1997 up to 1999.

We've once had the CD-i rarity guide on the gamespy forums and I'm posting them back on Interactive Dreams, which gives an idea when a certain game is rare or not, scaling them from 1 (not rare) up to 10 (very rare). You can find it here.

TheCDiFanboy92
Softech Recruit

Post by TheCDiFanboy92 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 am

so de zaak van sam is rare??? lol i have it here in perfect condition!!!
i never played it because my CD-i wouldn't play it :cry:
lol and arcade classics is also very rare!!
i have a better CD-i colection then i thought :wink:

tlh

Post by tlh » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 am

When you say you have it "perfect", does your version have a cardboard case around it? I Zak, but it is just the jewel case, instructions and cd. What I wouldn't give for that cardboard... lol .. tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:26 am

cardboard? You mean around the jewelcase? That was only with US releases, not with De Zaak van Sam (iirc) ?

TheCDiFanboy92
Softech Recruit

Post by TheCDiFanboy92 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Bas wrote:cardboard? You mean around the jewelcase? That was only with US releases, not with De Zaak van Sam (iirc) ?
yeah i have all my games in the cases witch it was in the stores and de zaak van sam is not a cardboard box :wink:

tlh

Post by tlh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:06 am

All of my games have cardboard around the jewel case, except Atlantis and De Zak Van Zam Investigative Detective. I bought these online, and they were mailed to me without the cardboard. Apparently, De Zak is correct without the cardboard, but isn't Atlantis supposed to have a cardboard outer shell? Thanks..tlh

tlh

Post by tlh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 am

Yeah, I know... De Zaak Van Sam...Duh!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:48 am

No, Atlantis does not have a cardboard sleeve. Because Atlantis was only released in Europe. Normally, on the back of the game you can see on european releases "Printed in Germany" >> these didn't have a cardboard (with some exceptions like Pac-Panic and World Cup Golf) and on US releases "Printed in USA" >> these were released with a cardboard (perhaps there were also exceptions)

tlh

Post by tlh » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:46 am

Thank you for the info. Ok, I have what I now think is a complete Atlantis and De Zaak Van Sam. In addition, I have a few other titles that are in jewel cases without a sleeve. One of those titles appears to be import called Doors and Windows Cranberry. It is not a game, but a interactive music video. I don't even know where it came from.. I have another box in storage with other titles. When I find it, I will start posting. Do I start a thread here to post pics ? Or do I post collection pics in another location. Thanks, tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 am

You decide ;)

The Cranberries disc is also an interesting disc as it plays on both CD-i and CD-ROM. There is both a CD-ROM autostart which is detected on PC's and a CD-i file which is detected on CD-i players. Most of these hybrid discs have its software pressed twice on the disc, but possibly both applications share the video files, who knows more about that?