No pics yet still playing...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
tlh
Burn:Cycle Activated

No pics yet still playing...

Post by tlh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 am

I was going to post pics today, but I have been playing instead. I forgot how much fun CDI was since it has been years since I dug out my games. Does anyone on the forum know if there is a way to decrease load times on Power Hitter? I been playing Voyuer, Power Hitter and 7th Guest today for the first time in years. . . My wife has never seen 7th Guest and is intrigued to say the least.. I plan on starting a collection post tomorrow, with my US titles, should be fun..tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 am

"if there is a way to decrease load times on Power Hitter"

I haven't touched Power Hitter in years, I'm not sure what you mean by decreasing loading times, although CD-i will always have a single speed cd drive which is slow on a lot of titles!

tlh

Post by tlh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 am

Since were talking technical. I have a couple of questions. First, how do you activate (turn on) subtitles on the CDI 220 with Vid Cart.? Second, can you replace the single speed drive with a faster modern drive decrease load times? Just curious. By the way, I have never been able to get subtitles to work in De Zaak. What am I doing wrong? Is it my player or possibly my tv.. Thanks,, your NTSC friend tlh

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 am

how do you activate (turn on) subtitles on the CDI 220 with Vid Cart.?
Normally, VCD's have encoded subtitles in the same video layer as the video stream, so you can't turn it on or off. That's with most retail vcd's out there. I remember Bernard talking about his experiments with the newer VCD versions where this was eventually possible, but it's not available in retail discs afaik.
can you replace the single speed drive with a faster modern drive decrease load times?
I don't think so, other cd drives are not compatible with the rest of the hardware, but I don't think anyone has ever tried!
I have never been able to get subtitles to work in De Zaak. What am I doing wrong?
I can't remember, it's been too long when I played this game the last time. I'm not sure if it was dutch only or if there were nglish subtitles, maybe someone else?

tlh

Post by tlh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:12 pm

My version says it has english subtitles, but I can't get them to work. I have searched to forum for threads on the subject, but to no avail. Hmm, puzzled on this one.. tlh

Gir Draxa

Post by Gir Draxa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:17 pm

tlh wrote:My version says it has english subtitles, but I can't get them to work. I have searched to forum for threads on the subject, but to no avail. Hmm, puzzled on this one.. tlh
Interestingly, I found the 'english subtitles' offered on many vcds that I purchased over the years (most from Asia) to actually be mis-leadingly labeled. When I asked one seller who claimed there was subs on his vcds, he said "you must turn on closed captioning on your tv to see them"

Drax
CEO of the (in search of a home) CD-i Collective and 3DO Collective

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 am

tlh wrote:My version says it has english subtitles, but I can't get them to work. I have searched to forum for threads on the subject, but to no avail. Hmm, puzzled on this one.. tlh
What title are we talking about..?

tlh

Post by tlh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

De Zaak Van Sam, On my game box it shows english subtitles, but I have never been able to turn them on. It would really be cool to know what the heck is being said.. tlh