Questions about CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
nissling
Burn:Cycle Activated

Questions about CD-i

Post by nissling » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi. I'm new at this forum and I've got some questions about CD-i.

In december 2007, I bought a Philips CD-i 450 with some games (Hotel Mario, Link: The Faces of Evil, Zelda: Wand Of Gamelon, International Tennis open, Lemmings and Burn: Cycle). For almost a month ago I sold everything with exceptions of Burn: Cycle and Lemmings becuse that's two of my favourite games. Now, I've started to miss my CD-i and I'm planning to buy a new one. Here's the questions I have.

1. Since my first (and maybe only) CD-i only had composite out, there's got to be atleast one model that has RGB. How much is the diffrences between RGB and Composite on CD-i? I know the diffrence is big on the Sega Mega Drive but it's not that big diffrence on the Playstation and that's why I'm asking.

2. Which is the best controller of them? I had a 22ER9019 and it felt OK, but I think that there's a better controller on the CD-i but which of them?

3. My CD-i didn't have DVC and is it worth to buy one for my next model? I know that you need it for some games and to watch VCD-movies, but are there really enough good games that need DVC which makes me want to buy one?

4. Which model should I buy? I've got a friend and he's got about ten diffrent models and he said to me that he could sell one of them. He said that a 210, 220 and 350 was for sale but which of them should I go for? There's also a model 470 up on Tradera (a Swedish version of Ebay) which yet is up in 400 SEK (almost $50). Should I go for that one instead? I guess it will go pretty expensive since there hasn't been a 470 on Tradera in over two years.

5. I've already got Burn: cycle and Lemmings, 7:th Guest looks good but which other games should I purchase?

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 pm

1. Since my first (and maybe only) CD-i only had composite out, there's got to be atleast one model that has RGB. How much is the diffrences between RGB and Composite on CD-i? I know the diffrence is big on the Sega Mega Drive but it's not that big diffrence on the Playstation and that's why I'm asking.

Not sure on that one

2. Which is the best controller of them? I had a 22ER9019 and it felt OK, but I think that there's a better controller on the CD-i but which of them?

The better controller for most games is the 22ER9021 (CD-i Gamepad) although i'm pretty sure there are some convertors that allow you to use other systems controllers with the CD-i

3. My CD-i didn't have DVC and is it worth to buy one for my next model? I know that you need it for some games and to watch VCD-movies, but are there really enough good games that need DVC which makes me want to buy one?

Yes, all the ALG conversions for starters, not to mention Dragons Lair series and similar games like Space Ace and Brain Dead 13.

For the amount the CD-i sells for you might as well get one with a DVC

4. Which model should I buy? I've got a friend and he's got about ten diffrent models and he said to me that he could sell one of them. He said that a 210, 220 and 350 was for sale but which of them should I go for? There's also a model 470 up on Tradera (a Swedish version of Ebay) which yet is up in 400 SEK (almost $50). Should I go for that one instead? I guess it will go pretty expensive since there hasn't been a 470 on Tradera in over two years.

220 and 470 are my favorites, I still want both of these systems in my collection (after previously selling them)

470 is small and good build quality, go for that one (Also it's got intergrated DVC)

5. I've already got Burn: cycle and Lemmings, 7:th Guest looks good but which other games should I purchase?

7th Guest, Tetris, Palm Springs Open, Mystic Midway Series, Mad Dog McCree, Mad Dog 2, Who Shot Johnny Rock?, Crime Patrol, Drug Wars, Space Ace, Dragons Lair, Dragons Lair 2, Space Ace there are tons more but work on those for now.

nissling

Post by nissling » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:06 pm

K1ngArth3r wrote:although i'm pretty sure there are some convertors that allow you to use other systems controllers with the CD-i
I've seen a converter for the CD-i on Ebay which makes that you can use a Sega Mega Drive-controller on the CD-i. That would be perfect for me since the 6-button controller is designedfor the human being.

Btw, isn't Mad Dog McCree/Who Shot Johnny Rock pretty much like Ground Zero texas or Corpse Killer on the Sega CD? I've got them both and non of them are my favourites. But since I haven't played any FMV-game with a lightgun (or something like that) so maybe it's worth a try.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:15 pm

In my experience a CD-i mouse works better with Mad Dog then a light gun.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 am

I prefer the gun, It recreates the arcade feel.
Using the mouse makes the game to easy :)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 am

K1ngArth3r wrote:Using the mouse makes the game to easy :)
Well yes, but I found the "jittering" of the gun hotspot annoying. Perhaps it's just my particular gun, of course.

tlh

Post by tlh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:24 pm

I would like to get in on this. The answer to your first question is that it is really fairly simple to get RGB out of the 220 series CDI. There are RGB traces on the mainboard before the Sony encoder that encodes the pure signal with NTSC or Pal whichever the case may be. Check my arcade posts for the exact location. By the way, the difference in video quality is staggering! Best of luck..tlh