Hey I was wondering

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
cdiplayer
Softech Recruit

Hey I was wondering

Post by cdiplayer » Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 am

If Mario Takes America and Super Mario's Wacky Worlds were released what do you think would have happened differently

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Sat May 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Good question!

I think it would depend on two things: The time of release and the quality of the games.

If they would have been 'duds', like Zelda- wand of Gamelon etc. then they would probably not have made much of an impact. A few eyebrows would have been raised, maybe some people would take extra notice and maybe even buy a CDi.

If SMWW would have combined the gameplay of Super Mario World with 'next' generation visuals and audio, then it would have a definite impact. After all, SMW was one of the major reasons in the success of SNES.

Mario takes America had a different premisse, it would have combined FMV graphics of a trip through America with the Mario character. It would have depended completely on the gameplay to know if it would have made an impact.

Besides that, I think an early release of a great version of SMWW could have definatly helped CDi. The game was cancelled in 1993, and I think it would have been perfect of 1992/1993. After that CDI already had too much a smell of failure around it and nothing could have really saved it...

What do you all think?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 am

I think for what I've seen of Super Mario Wacky Worlds could have been a great game, especially on CD-i. I don't think it would have the fine quality of a Nintendo game, but it had the potential of being the best CD-i game ever. Would it have changed the market? Perhaps when Nintendo realized Novalogic was capable of creating this quality on CD-i, they could have bought them. SMWW would get the same fame as Zelda's Adventure or Hotel Mario but I don't think it would have changed anything. I wonder if Nintendo would sue Philips for copying their gameplay mechanics and mario sprites and music. You know the fact Philips used the Nintendo characters in their games is merely a result of a war of patents (and the violation of those). Nintendo never granted Philips to use their characters in CD-i games, a widely believed mistake!

If Philips would have the guts to start a CD-i 2, I always believed they could have kicked Sony off the thrown. With successes like SMWW, perhaps it would have changed the mind of Cor...

And if CD-i was more succesfull, who knows this would have happened!

mattyg
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by mattyg » Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm

It's been a while since I posted guys but this is definately an interesting argument! The coulda shoulda woulda's are something we ask ourselves often over at 3DO zero forums. As for the CD-i - well I think the solution always was a closer relationship with Nintendo - both through games - and hardware. Just think if a hybrid CD-i / SNES similar to the Mega CD was released as was originally slated? There would have been no playstation for a start!
So the main battle would have been Nintendo/CD-i vs 3DO vs Sega!
It has already been confirmed from the 3DO team that Sega were in late stages of negotiation with Panasonic to share the M2 technology - so it is more than feasible that in an alternate universe the Nintendo/CD-i 2 would have been competing against the Sega/M2 3DO !
Nintendo's inability to create disc drives is well documented - this lack of technological ability certainly changed the landscape of gaming. The CD-i originally started life as the SNES's disc drive , the playstation as the N64's drive and the Panasonic Q was born out of the Gamecube's development!
......and yes guys I am aware I've taken some liberties when attempting to simplify but you get the drift.

What might have been.............?

cdiplayer
Softech Recruit

Post by cdiplayer » Tue May 19, 2009 10:40 pm

I personally think that had Super Mario's Wacky Worlds been released soon enough it would have changed the market totally and probably could have achieved the same amount of success as the Genesis. As far as Mario Takes America. Well as you have said it really would depend on the gameplay

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 am

I always wonder how far Philips could eventually have stretched the use of Nintendo characters in their games. If the Zelda and Mario titles met the quality/popularity of their SNES counterparts, would Philips have started making sequels? How far could this have gone? What if a game like Lost Ride had a Donkey Kong theme? Or what if Atlantis had a Metroid theme?