New game discovery!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

New game discovery!

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 pm

France rules for cd-i!!

I bought ADI CM2 (Accompanement scolaire) the other day, which is a massive title designed to help children study. However, hidden in there are 3 games.... a segment of Inca, game similiar to BMP Puzzle and the main game called ''Gobliiins''. You take control of 3 of these creatures and it's an adventure type game. Each gobliiin has different powers and you have to choose which one to use at the right time...I've not got very far yet as I'm still learning how to play it!! (my French is slowly coming back to me!!).

The great thing about this disc is that only the first part of Gobliiins and the puzzle game are accesible at first - you have to ''unlock'' the other levels by doing well at your studies - how cool is this? Can't think of any other cd-i where you have to unlock other levels.

I strongly suggest that you add this title to your collection - I will attempt to do screenshots in the near future.

Alan

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Well done Alan!

The most important find this year to date for CD-i. One question, from what you've seen, once all the boring educational stuff had been completed do you believe Gobliiins will be fully playable and absolutely seperate from the educational side of the disc?

yokohama
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by yokohama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 am

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Can't be coincidence!

I feel a translation patch coming on, how difficult could that be? :?

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Theres 4 volumes of ADI , I wonder whats on the other discs :)

One wonders why they didn't do a standalone port of Gobliins as it in itself would have been a must-have title on cd-i.

yokohama

Post by yokohama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:58 pm

CD-i 450 wrote:One wonders why they didn't do a standalone port of Gobliins as it in itself would have been a must-have title on cd-i.
The game didn't set the world alight and obtained average review scores.

However, I liked the Gobliiin games (although never personally owned one!). Remember playing Gobliiins 2 which had a certain charm to the animations and humour. I'm sure it would have sold on CD-i very well as games were notorious trail blazers when it came to CD-i wares. Assuming the full game of Gobliiins is playable then it's difficult to understand why Coktel Vision didn't do an English translation and release it as a stand alone!

Hey Alan, are all the funny little sound effects that the characters bleat out present and correct? That's the essential Gobliiins element, a text box poping up and some gobble'de'gog from each Goblin!

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your input.

Devin, to answer your questions... yes, I believe once you've obtained enough points (studying) all levels of Gobliins will be playable. I think there are around 9 to unlock...yes the sound effects are good (one of them is a magician, the other can use objects and the 3rd seems to punch things) - have not seen any speech bubbles yet though.

Will keep you all posted. I still love cd-i as much as I did 15 years ago and finding new games is fantastic.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Should be 21 levels if it is a full original Gobliiins game!

After a little research I gather the game engine for Gobliiins remained the same from the original right through to the third installment, also includes INCA II. So it might not have been that difficult to port over the other games considering we have the original Gobliiins in playable form on this ADI CM2 CD-i disc. So maybe, just maybe other ADI wares contain the other games!

andrew123

Post by andrew123 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Anyway i really liked this superb game and get superb start without any prob. thanks jazz..... :D

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 am

Is there any chance of photo's of the box art and maybe some pictures of the game running?

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Great news! More levels of Gobliiins are available on the other discs in the series. I've managed to also get ADI CE1 (am waiting on the other 2 cd-i's to arrive from France) and this disc contains 7 more levels + new pictures to re-arrange on the other game featured called Push Push.

I'm hoping to do screenshots of the games soon. Does anybody know what the object of the game is in Gobliiins?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:30 pm

The king is believed to have gone mad but unbeknown to some he had fallen under the influence of a vodoo doll!

So I guess the Gobliiins are off to save the day with various unrelated tasks and puzzles :D

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

I now have all four ADI discs and can confirm that the ''CM'' discs contain 7 levels of Gobliiins + pictures to solve in ''Push Push'' and the same for the ''CE' discs. So, because CM1 & CM2 are identical, I now have one of these for sale / exchange + one of the CE discs for sale / exchange.

I will post on the for sale / trade forum soon. Or if you are interested now, please PM me.

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:55 am

Great News Alan, you're the first in 2009 to give CD-i a new thrill! I'm looking forward to see how Gobliiins runs on CD-i!