Cleaning / Take apart Thumbstick remote

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Crowquill
Burn:Cycle Activated

Cleaning / Take apart Thumbstick remote

Post by Crowquill » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 am

Just picked up a used 910 with it's original Thumbstick remote (is it considered a remote or a controller?).

The thing's incredibly nasty and sticky, but right now I cant tell what's grime and what's the flaking of the rubber coating. I'm thinking the best way to thoroughly clean it would be to disassemble it and scrub up the shell. I took out the screw in the back, but it doesn't seem to come apart still. I'm guessing the shell snaps together, but I don't want to force it and break it either.

Any suggestions? What's the best cleaning agent on the rubberized surface?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:02 am

Horrible device isn't it!

Never took one apart myself so wouldn't know. In my opinion the commander is a better remote where as you can't beat a good old joypad for games.

Gir Draxa
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Gir Draxa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:11 pm

The thumbstick is simple to clean inside. Simple water or diluted windex, and a cotton swab work wonders. All you really need is time and patience.

Also, is it me or does anyone else have CD-i flashbacks seeing the new playstation move controller? Guess you gotta have balls (light up ones at that) to revisit the phallic controller days of the CD-i.

Drax
CEO of the (in search of a home) CD-i Collective and 3DO Collective