CD-i mouse compatibility list?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

CD-i mouse compatibility list?

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:26 am

It looks like new old-stock CD-i mice have been found and made available on eBay. They are relatively cheap, so I thought about picking one up. Searching the forum I found this thread (http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=mouse) that names off a few titles that are compatibile with CD-i mice. I'm curious if there is a definitive list floating about somewhere?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 am

Hi Austin,
The CD-i Mouse is really just a pointing device just like the gamepad. It is basically compatible with every single CD-i title, but it's true some works better than another. For example, you don't want to play The Apprentice with a mouse, do you? You'd be rolling the ball constantly :)

Titles which use a pointer on screen are controlled well with a mouse, like shooting games and point&click adventure games. But it's not a right or wrong question, it's more what you think works best for you!

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 am

That's great news. I was under the impression that it may be like the 3DO mouse where it only functions on certain games. Of course I will only be looking to use it with point and click titles, but the CD-i seems to have quite a few of these. Heck, controlling the 7th Guest more like its PC counterpart makes it worth it in itself! :)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

One of the requirements of Philips was that "every CD-i title should be playable with every CD-i pointing device". Although originally a very hard requirement, this was quickly softened somewhat, especially for games.

Technically, all pointing devices behave like a mouse to the CD-i software; there is no way to get "direction" signals from e.g. the joypad (except by detecting them in software, of course): all you get from the system is an X/Y coordinate pair and two button bits. This can produce some control lag if the detection is not quite right...

I can tell from experience that The Apprentice is quite playable with the mouse; did a lot of that during CD-i Emulator development. :-)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Wow, that is good to know. Like Austin, I assumed only certain games were mapped to mouse control. It is good to know otherwise.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Where are these 'New, Old Stock' mice available from?

Can someone please post a link because if there cheap enough I would love to get my hands on one :)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Here is a link (easily found via Google).

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Just make sure you guys save one for me. ;)

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Nice one, It works out at about £8 for me but then you look at the cheapest postage and that's £22 - Suddenly that cheap mouse isn't so cheap... boo :)

Nice deal for all in the US :)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 pm

I already have one and there are other options too, although the asking price is right :-)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Is the box large or something? I'm trying to understand the shipping cost.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:41 pm

I've mailed him to see if I can get cheaper postage somehow.

I'd pay upto $15 I think but even the cheapest option is £22 ($35 odd) making the thing £30 which is too much even if it is new.