Very,very cool Cd-I story!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Solaariz
Burn:Cycle Activated

Very,very cool Cd-I story!

Post by Solaariz » Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm happy to have found this forum! I wanted to share a cool Cd-I story that I experienced as a kid and why I have lots of love for the creators of the system still today.
My love for CD-I started early as I saw a much loved title that I couldn't find for years(escape from cyber city/Freedom Fighter arcade) was on it. It seemed like a dream that a home system had finally adapted this title that I'd only played 1 time when I was like 6 years old! I would go to the electronics store and watch the Cd-I demo for hrs dreaming of the day that I could afford it. Finally I'd saved enough money to buy one after about a year or so, I bought one used from a guy in the classifieds. I was still pretty young so my father was there to make sure that the transaction was legit and Safe. Anyway I loved the system but felt that it lacked something that other game systems had. I felt that they needed many more games, and marketable ones at that. So I took it upon myself to write a letter to Phillips, keep in mind I was probably 10 or 11 years old. I praised them for the system then gave them suggestions for some game ideas that I had. I even compared it to other systems such as Sega cd and Turbo Graphics 16. I sent the letter and actually forgot all about it! 3 to 6 months passed I can't remember exactly, and I received a reply from Phillips! It was a letter thanking me for my letter and suggestions, and an explanation of why they couldn't put all the titles that I suggested on they're system. They did give me a list of some of they're future titles and assured me that I would be satisfied with some of those that were coming! Anyway here's is the best part, also included in this letter was a package containing 3 BRAND NEW GAMES! Chaos control, Lemmings and Tetris! Imagine being a kid and getting 3 free games direct from the systems producer! I was ecstatic! Since then I have written letters to many other game companies and developers but haven't really received as great a response as this! All grown up now I still have a lot of love for CD-I and Phillips and can't help but search for any info on the system! I definitely believe that it is terribly underrated! Ps3, X-Box even DVD players owe Phillips credit for they're attempt to revolutionize home entertainment ! I hope to find a good emulator for all my games soon. I'd love actually to have Escape from CyberCity and Return to CyberCity on my IPhone! So anyway fellow CD-I devotees, I hope you found this story enjoyable!

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 pm

That is so cool!! You are super lucky.

The closest I ever got to something like that was when a car company sent me a small book with pictures/info on each major model they had since they started in 1948.

Though I did once get a pokemon comic, a hat and a couple other little things from a Nintendo distribution company.

I agree on Philips CD-i being ahead of its time. Music, movies, reference/education and even games on a plug-into-the-TV-like-a-VCR device? Commodore also had a somewhat similar idea with CDTV. Great ideas, just a little too soon for the tech to be ready.

thund3r
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by thund3r » Tue May 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Great story! Do you still have the games today?

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Excellent story, thanks for sharing I doubt you'd get that from developers now.

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 am

thx for u sharing u story ,cool

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:03 am

cool,great story.thx posting here,.