CD-i Zelda + Mario background ripping help

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Duckwalker
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i Zelda + Mario background ripping help

Post by Duckwalker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:59 am

Hello all, i'm new to posting in the forums, so I am not sure if this question is in the right section or not.

Anyways, I am in the works of remaking the Zelda CD-i games for PC. I have successfully ripped all the audio data, and I have the sprites/fmvs.

My only problem is acquiring the background art.

Is there any way for a CD-i noob like me to rip the backgrounds without fail? Or is there a site with them ripped already? (Google shows otherwise)

- Duckwalker

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:04 pm

The latest CD-i Emulator versions allow you to "toggle" the display of each video plane on and off (Decode | Plane A/B or Ctrl-A/B); this should make the background visible without any sprites on it.

From there you could make screenshots but they would probably need to be pasted together by hand.

The backgrounds will also be on the disc in some format; if you're very lucky it's a simple or even standard file format, I haven't investigated.

Duckwalker
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Duckwalker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Alright, thank you!

I recall messing around with some image decoding tools that were posted in an older thread, but all I got was a jumbled mess of colors, and have no clue were to go after that.

Have any more info on that?

opt_fr_
Softech Recruit

Post by opt_fr_ » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Maybe you refer to a link I posted about some decoding tool, but actually that tool can only extract backgrounds from one game (HM). I give up about its development as "generic cd-i image extractor" when I realized I had to write specific code for each game I wanted to extract.

Backgrounds are in CLUT8 format I think.

You should try the cd-i emulator as cdifan said, that's the most advanced tool !