How well does Creature Shock control on the CD-i?...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
dave4shmups
Burn:Cycle Activated

How well does Creature Shock control on the CD-i?...

Post by dave4shmups » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm sure it depends on which CD-i controller you're using, but I'm curious because I own a 3DO, and was told that the 3DO port does not control well at all.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 pm

You were told correctly. :wink:

I have yet to play the CD-i port but, from what I understand, it is not a complete version since it is missing the flying levels.

The Sega Saturn has a "special edition" of the game, though I'm not sure what differences there may be.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:44 am

The flying levels were simply not possible on CD-i, that's why they made them into a full motion video. The whole game is made in FMV, which makes the graphics far better than the 3DO version. I'd highly recommend playing with the mouse, you have a lot more freedom compared to a button controller.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

In that case, the control options on the CD-i probably make it the best version ... even w/out the flying levels. The 3DO version doesn't support the mouse sadly, which makes the game border on unplayable. :cry:

I'm even more curious to try out the CD-i port now, as I've never been able to advance very far in the 3DO version. W/mouse control, I might finally be able to beat the game! :) The DVC support is an extra bonus ... less pixelazation.

I posted this here a while back, but here is my review of Creature Shock on 3DO ...

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1525

The game has been getting chat on 3DO Zero lately. I'm curious to compare them now

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:41 am

I think you are probably right Trev. I have only tried my mouse with two games so far, Lemmings and Rest in Pieces, but it's great for both. And personally, I didn't find the flying segments all that great anyways. They weren't exactly Star Fox, if you ask me (can't help but make that comparison as Argonaut had a heavy hand in that game well-before Creature Shock).
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 am

Yeah, the flying levels were kinda meh. It didn't help that 3DO had a bunch of better examples of that style of game to compare to.

Still, would be nice if the CD-i port had it. I can't quite wrap my head around how they couldn't manage to make them work ... Creature Shock was a very late port (what, like 3 years after initial release) Couldn't they have "tweaked" it to make it similar to say Kether? I know that isn't how the levels were initially, but better to have some version than none at all I feel.