Run software via Serial Port ?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Run software via Serial Port ?

Post by Overdrive_X » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:06 pm

I was woundering if the CD-I can execute code (Homebrew) from the serial port ? Such as the MultiBoot Cable for GameBoy Advance System.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm

Such a thing has been discussed before!!

Whilst clearing up the old forums I came across the post from erronous about creating a "BootLoader" which could be used to execute code. He's on holiday at the moment but this idea warrants a revival on his return :D

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:11 pm

With a professional player, it's just a matter of copying the file to the hard drive. It's easy, and could be easier with FTP.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32 pm

Most Philips players support a so-called "download" protocol that can be used to do this.

The CD-i Link program speaks the PC side of the protocol, which is described in the documentation included with the CD-i Stub distribution.

If your player doesn't support this protocol, you can use the "CD-i Stub" disc as a kind of boot loader.

So, the ROMs or the CD-i Stub disc can already be used as "BootLoader".

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:47 pm

cdifan wrote:Most Philips players support a so-called "download" protocol that can be used to do this.

The CD-i Link program speaks the PC side of the protocol, which is described in the documentation included with the CD-i Stub distribution.

If your player doesn't support this protocol, you can use the "CD-i Stub" disc as a kind of boot loader.

So, the ROMs or the CD-i Stub disc can already be used as "BootLoader".
DOH!! I never really considered that before CD-i Fan :D

So CD-i STUB could be used to download some code to run on regular CD-i players, very cool :shock: