Tetris Music

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Kempyt
Burn:Cycle Activated

Tetris Music

Post by Kempyt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Can anyone help me?

I've been putting in some serious hours lately playing Tetris a game I have owned and enjoyed since 1995. My personal opinion having played Tetris on many formats is that the CD-i version is up there with the best and although I've seen many utubers slamming it I just don't think they give it enough time or appreciate the whole package.

The music as well as the scenes fill me with a great nostagelgic feeling but ever time I play it I'm sure that I recognise the deifferent tunes within the game but question myself that this is just because I've played it for years.

Can anyone comment as to if the different music tracks are simply made for the game or are the tracks based on real songs previously released etc.

C'mon all, let me know your thoughts and also would love to hear your opinions of the CD-i version! :D

Cheers
Chris
Top 3 games - 7th Guest, Dimo’s Quest, Pinball

goldenband

Re: Tetris Music

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Interesting question. If the tracks were licensed from an existing artist it's probable that the artist's name would be plastered all over the release -- so it's more likely that it was a "work for hire" where the songs were specifically written for the game, and the composer/artist took a bigger paycheck upfront but didn't get royalty payments.

The only other possibilities that come to mind (that allow for the music being released elsewhere) are some sort of music library from which the songs were licensed, though that'd be unusual for a video game, at least in this era.

Or, it's also possible for an artist to get permission to release tracks used for a video game once the game is no longer being sold. (Did Rick Wakeman ever separately release his soundtrack to Microcosm?)

I see that the soundtrack is by Jim Andron, but I don't know anything about him. Is he a well-known electronic or New Age artist?

Kempyt

Post by Kempyt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi goldenband,

cheers for replying!

great points! I'm going to have a google now of Jim Andron and see if anything comes up etc,

Will update shortly

Chris
Top 3 games - 7th Guest, Dimo’s Quest, Pinball

tweety

Post by tweety » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:11 pm

I really like the Tetris soundtrack. I only know few Tetris games, but for me the CD-i-version is the best one.
I've found now something interesting namely that last year the soundtrack was released as a limited vinyl edition.

https://www.discogs.com/de/Jim-Andron-T ... e/14776816