kuroneko

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

kuroneko

Post by Bas » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:22 pm

Thanks man, sounds great. Must have been a nice job over there... Do you mind telling us a bit more about it? Like, how titles were handled when testing, what kind of problems showed up the most, what kind of unreleased titles have been tested....

i would love to learn more about that!

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Re: kuroneko

Post by KuroNeko » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:37 pm

Bas wrote:Thanks man, sounds great. Must have been a nice job over there... Do you mind telling us a bit more about it? Like, how titles were handled when testing, what kind of problems showed up the most, what kind of unreleased titles have been tested
That's quite a novel you want me to write :lol:

Nice job... well... not that much. Pay was bad. And I mean bad. Working conditions weren't all that fun either. We were in a long narrow room, tables on each side with a few players and a monitor, with a cubicle wall in between. When things were really busy, when we got temps in to get through the workload, it was really cramped, and hot. No airco.

Still, it's like army service. Not fun when you're crawling through the mud, but looking back it was not so bad. :P Or so they tell me, I lucked out on that one :P

People were great, bit strict regime in the beginning but it loosened up after a while. The working atmosphere was what made working there fun.

Testing was done at customer's request. We offered a couple of standard packages, like compatibility on a few players and cartridge/player combinations, input devices etc, or the full suite of all players etc... Sometimes customers wanted only a limited test, like "test those and those PAL players and pay only attention to sound". I remember the 220/40 having a bad rep with sound issues, swicthed channels or something...

Once a test came in, a coordinator was assigned and he checked basic functionality first - making sure we didn't schedule time and set up a team etc. only to discover the disc wouldn't make it past the bumper. Next, depending on the test, a test sheet was made. It stated what tests needed to be done (agreed with customer), a list of players, cartridges, input devices etc that got ticked off as each was tested.

Some basic tests were done on each player. For instance, if you could interrupt the bumper, did the disc continue if the bumper was interrupted or if you let it play (you'd be surprised how many discs actually had issues here, especially in the beginning), is a copyright message present, is it in the right language and is it the right message - Philips had strict rules on these messages, they had them prewritten. Studio's not dependant on Philips of course didn't have the same rules, and one had to pay attention for whom you were testing. Next input devices were all tested, making sure they were supported and on both inputs. Nasty bit, some input devices simple never worked on the back inputs, there were 2 types of mouse, and one wouldn't work on some players, and that sort of thing. Constantly needed to remember which combinations were not bugs but problems with devices or players. Gamepads even needed to be tested on all speed settings... ugh... Some cartridges always gave green flashes on some players. 905 and 205, some others, depended on the motherboard versions (sorry, no longer remember the tech details here) so those also had to be taken into account.:roll:

Then you had basic tech tests. We used an old 180 for some of them - had to put in an OS9 floppy and type some commands to load data from the disc then play it. Don't remember all the tests but they were for instance about audio warning messages - those things you get to hear when you popped in the disc in an audio CD player, that warn you to turn down volume or the next tracks will damage your speakers. These messages sometimes were incomplete, not clear, cut off, or not there at all.

Compatibility testing was all in all really routine and a bit of a drag - just playing the title on all players for a few hours, making sure all hotspots could be reached (sometimes the cursor wouldn't move over the entire screen, usually PAL/NTSC compatibility issue), checking if audio channels were not switched, making sure all types of input devices were covered, on both inputs (back and front), all cartridges, do the 605 test (various memory settings and a few other parameters in the 605 menu were changed, have to check on my 605 which, don't recall just now), do a safety area test for PAL and NTSC.

Now that last bit was really a bore :lol: You had to go through the entire disc and make sure no hotspots or crucial graphics or text were outside the safety area on the screen. We used an old Amiga 500 with a genlock for that - it overlaid the safety area boundaries on the screen. Calibrated of course with the attached 605.

Etc. etc...sorry if all this is kinda unstructured :oops: but I'm racking my brains to remember all this as I write it. We used to have a couple of sheets were all this stuff was listed and you ticked off boxes to indicate it was tested. A coordinator made sure all bases were covered and steered a team of testers, 1 to 10-15 people depending on the project.

Now full functionality test, that was fun. Especially when we were called in at the start of a title. I remember we were involved from the start with Chaos Control (another game I can still play in my sleep :)) . We had 10-12 people on that at the beginning. Playing it and trying to break it :lol: We had competition then from a test team in the USA, and we were trying to get more bugs in as they did. Kinda funny, we reported 20-30 a day in the beginning, they just a few. No contest really. Poor guys there were just students, not pro testers, so they missed a lot.

With these functionality tests all bugs were free game, with compatibiliy tests, if you found a small crack in the audio or some sync loss, no biggie, title was finished and only real bad issues were still accepted. The test only was supposed to cover compatibility after all. Which could yield some nasty surprises if a major incompatibility was found and fixing it would mean rewriting part of the code that could break other parts etc. Heads would shake at PIMC and mutter "serves you right.. we told you so, get testing team in from the start..." :twisted: and that sort of thing.

We actually worked months on Chaos Control. Each time they thought they were final, we tickled out another bug. Often new ones, that didn't appear in previous versions :). Was a big event when it was finally finished. Customer was happy even though it took so long. Send us a leather jacket with Chaos Control logo, which we had a lottery for amongst testers. I still think it was rigged and they wanted my old worn jacket thrown in the dustbin :lol: Still have it though, tough jacket :)

Things went downhill from there really, I think that was our last major - I mean really big - project. It quickly became clear studios had much smaller budgets, and demanded tests became smaller and cheaper. Less fun too. We saw the rain coming, so we started testing on PCs too (we already did testing on VCDs, as those for Philips/Polygram were actually made - menu's and encoding - at PIMC). Guess what. Had to test all those CDi games that made it to PC like Burn Cycle and Chaos Control AGAIN :roll: Since I now was the resident "senior expert" :) on those programs, most other testers had changed jobs...:(

Hmm, that really did become a novel, didn't it :). As for your other questions, what bugs were most prevalent, I'm not sure. It's a bit too long ago, and I'd be going on my memories of my experiences, not at all a good overview of the entire test coverage.

Lots of detail issues: Philips insisted on particular texts and audio warnings, and those were often not OK. Issues with the bumper too. They changed the bumper at a certain point and forbade the use of the old one. Sometimes some controllers would not work because the title had no proper support for it. Lost of safety area issues (text out of bounds mostly, or hostpost out of bounds). Plenty of peculiar compatibility issues that sometimes took developers a bit to figure out. We sometimes had to lend out players to them (some portables have been around the world :)) so they could debug.

Plenty of audio cracks, hiss, noise, graphical glitches... quality issues really. Like a character in Secret Mission walking into a hut and seeing part of him through the hut graphics, that kind o stuff. Text errors... don't start me on those. If we were asked to test those we got scripts and had to locate each text and check it. If not specifically asked, we only reported them if we bumped in to them. And we bumped, a lot. :)

Just remembered, we also tested Dirty Disc messages. Language, correct message, but also that it worked i.e. that if something happened, you got a DD message and didn't just fell back to the shell. Plenty problems here too, weird non-standard messages, wrong languages, no message at all,...

Usability issues too. Philips wanted all titles to be playable with a remote. Ever try Chaos Control or The Apprentice or Flashback with one of those pressure sensitive remotes? We actually had to finish games with these, in order to prove it could be done, and report difficulties. Not that developers changed things much anyway :lol: Like those nasty controls in Flashback, having to be at a pixel-accurate location in order to make a jump ...I can still remember a very frustrated week between Xmas and New Year testing that @*&#&%@#$% :D

As for your last question, sorry. I'm sure I saw a few of those but don't remember them. We didn't really look what was in stores, that was old news for us. If you have a list somewhere, I can look if any title rings a bell or not.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity :D

Neko

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:18 pm

Really fascinating insight Neko, we love these stories :D

So you were there through the thick and thin of it all, i'm sure a few unreleased games went under your nose!! A few that come to mind includes:

Discworld (I don't believe this was tested by Philips ever)
The Dame was Loaded
Return to Cybercity (Not to be confused with the first installment Escape from Cybercity)
GO (English language version)
Plunderball
Jack Sprite Vs. The Crimson Ghost
Space Ranger
Microcosm

Any of these sound familiar? Also i'd love to see a picture of your promotional Chaos Control jacket :wink:

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:38 pm

Devin wrote:The Dame was Loaded

But Philips Relased it ? I remember in 1995-96 to view it in a Supermarket running in a CDI! (or is it a demo?)

If it not exists cdi version I will stop search it, because for PC have a *bad* video format.

KuroNeko:

Interesting story. Do you made/test edutaiment?

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Post by KuroNeko » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:49 am

Dame was Loaded rings a bell. Never knew it wasn't released, didn't like it much from what I recall :) Kind of film-noir adventure type game, right? With those cliche accents and dialogs...

I liked Myst better :D Ack... reminds me... I did Space Ace too ... yuck! :lol: And some kind of retest of Dragon's Lair, or was there a second part of that game? I don't recall...

Edutainment? Umm, not sure what you consider falls into this category. I do remember we had kid's programmes too, usually those were intended to be "educational". I do remember a few, but honestly, I'm not sure I'm confusing them with the first of those we tested on PC. I recall some kind of game with a seal at a circus, kids learn to count, could color pictures, that kind of stuff.

Again, for titles I'll need a list. Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of CDi titles, not just games? I need to jog my memory.

I did test some "cultural" titles, about musea like , things like Wines of France, etc. Tourist guides like Salzburger Land, encyclopedia's like Philips Medical Encyclopedia,...

Don't start thinking that I was in the thick of it with all these titles though. With some I was with the first test team that started the project, but often once the big part of testing was done, these testers moved to other projects and anyone free at the moment had to finish up the loose ends and the small retests and check-ups. Lots of small fry tests :)

EDIT: Discworld rings a bell too... I never worked on it but the name definitely fell a few times. I think some other testers did some work on it, but very little. Maybe it was cancelled during the first test run...

Neko

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:22 pm

KuroNeko wrote:Dame was Loaded rings a bell. Never knew it wasn't released, didn't like it much from what I recall :) Kind of film-noir adventure type game, right? With those cliche accents and dialogs...
Yes, that is. Some screenshorts

KuroNeko wrote:I liked Myst better :D Ack... reminds me... I did Space Ace too ... yuck! :lol: And some kind of retest of Dragon's Lair, or was there a second part of that game? I don't recall...
Exist 2 Dragon's lair and Space Ace.
KuroNeko wrote:Edutainment? Umm, not sure what you consider falls into this category. I do remember we had kid's programmes too, usually those were intended to be "educational". I do remember a few, but honestly, I'm not sure I'm confusing them with the first of those we tested on PC. I recall some kind of game with a seal at a circus, kids learn to count, could color pictures, that kind of stuff.

Again, for titles I'll need a list. Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of CDi titles, not just games? I need to jog my memory.

I did test some "cultural" titles, about musea like , things like Wines of France, etc. Tourist guides like Salzburger Land, encyclopedia's like Philips Medical Encyclopedia,...
You have all cdi software list (very long :D) in http://icdia.co.uk/archive/ .
For the medical encyclopedia :lol: nowadays Philips earns a lot of money in medical electronics division.
Edutaiment= education + entertainment. In some facts are very boring games XD.
KuroNeko wrote:EDIT: Discworld rings a bell too... I never worked on it but the name definitely fell a few times. I think some other testers did some work on it, but very little. Maybe it was cancelled during the first test run...
For PC was a very good game. :( I think it was cancelled because Sony was bought Pysignosis (the PC devoloper).

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Post by KuroNeko » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Ruekov, I checked the lists. Edutainment we tested (at least, those titles that I recall) were Albero Azurro, Berenstain Bears, Cartoon Jukebox, CDi mit der Maus, Crayon Factory, Dark Fables, Flintstones/Jetsons, not sure about Francais Maths but it rings a bell, Mother Goose, Muzzy, Naftaline, PAWS, Sandy's Circus Adventure, Stickybear, Thumbelina, Tim & Bear.

Those I remember, maybe others were tested before I started working there, or I simply forgot.

Hope this helps.

Neko

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Now that you mention it...

Anyone have a copy of CDi mit der Mause? I've been wanting it for ages...