PC serial/PS2 mouse to CD-i adapter

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
MoSPDude
Burn:Cycle Activated

PC serial/PS2 mouse to CD-i adapter

Post by MoSPDude » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:06 pm

Has anyone been interested in building the PC serial mouse to CD-i adapter? Is there more interest in a P/S2 mouse to CD-i adapter?

Just wondered if anyone was thinking about building it.

Craig

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Let me just plug that CD-i nullmodem cable that Devin's selling again:

With it you could use any PC input device (mouse, joystick, keyboard, whatever) with your CD-i player. Even things like action replay are possible.

It's just a matter of the appriopriate PC software; all the protocols are publicly documented. Not very hard either, I think...

Using your PC as a CD-i modem would be a little harder, but still very doable...

PS. I have no financial interest in those cables, just like to see them used!

MoSPDude

Post by MoSPDude » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 am

I had a go at that with a nullmodem cable I made up myself, but couldn't get windows to respond in time to the RTS toggle and as such the CD-i ignored it. I wrote a nice windows program to capture the mouse and send data too before I tried it properly, expecting it to work easily but I gave up after a few hours. I might have another go it.

Damned windows and windows XP, I imagine a proper pure DOS app would be able to do it.

Craig

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:25 am

Craig, you're the adaptor guy, right?

I agree, the quick RTS response is probably the hardest part. It's supposed to be within 10 ms...

Couldn't you try to (ab)use the flow control stuff? Detect RTS being negated; kill all output and turn on flow control and then queue the ID byte, so that Windows will immediately send it *from the drivers* when RTS is asserted, meaning that your application doesn't have to be scheduled for this to happen...

I'd assume that the usual RTS-negative time, while specified as 10ms minimum, is in practice much longer?

Also, most pointing device ports are supposed to autodetect a device being connected. Maybe this could be triggered in some way, to re-invoke the ID recognition?

As the last resort, you'd have to write a serial widget or COM port driver. This page has some info on the former; isn't there there a sample COM port driver in the Windows DDK? Just my thoughts...

MoSPDude

Post by MoSPDude » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:30 pm

Writing a COM driver I think is going overkill, though I do have the WinDDK lying around somewhere.
Perhaps queue the ID byte is a way forward with it.
As for timing of the RTS being negated, while writing PIC code for the adapter - the CD-i seemed to hold it for longer if its struggling with the mouse data ie bad baud rate in initial case with dodgy crystal!

MoSPDude

Post by MoSPDude » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:40 pm

Just as an add-on, if anyone does build either the PS/2 and serial mouse converter or serial mouse adapter to CD-i - please post details of success or failure here, just so I can have an idea of any problems or if I've drawn something wrong.

Thanks,
Craig