newbie please help

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
adi182
Burn:Cycle Activated

newbie please help

Post by adi182 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:33 pm

hi im trying to get upto date with the CDI ..
ive downloaded a few games, but whats the best working emulator? the only one i can find is the rise of the robots one andi wannaplay zelda and mario

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:11 pm

For now there is no emulator available to play mario and zelda with.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Where are you located in the world adi82? You could probably pick up a player and a few games fairly cheaply.

adi182

Post by adi182 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:31 pm

manchester , UK sonot too far from you i guess, if i do pick up a cheap CDI will i be ableto run CD-R's on it?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Usually most CD-i players can read CDr media but in some cases most notably with the 400/500 series of console styled systems it can get a bit fussy about what coloured CDr media you use. A good quality silver media should do the trick.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:07 am

It depends on the brand of CD-R, i'm sure about that. I've used a lot of CD-R's on my 490 (and 450 before that), and i never got problems with the brands Sony and Philips and TDK. With Maxell and a no-brand cdr is didn't work always... But VCD's on CD-R always work in my player.

Do you think the burning program can have some influence? I don't think so, but i'm not sure...

adi182

Post by adi182 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:25 pm

so i guess there is no reason to get it chipped or a boot CD, can you just play CDR games,

did CD-ice ever go open source?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:28 pm

CD-i plays PAL/NTSC and CDr Media so no need for any chip or BOOT CD!!

No CD-ice never went open source, in the end only the Rise of the Robots trial version was released. Although it's rumoured you can play other games on this emulator by fiddling the ISO of a game you RIP to PC. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it does work :shock:

adi182

Post by adi182 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:28 pm

i thort the problem might have something to do with the emulator not having the console bios, but are there any tutorials on how to hack the iso of the rom instead

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:01 pm

Devin wrote:No CD-ice never went open source, in the end only the Rise of the Robots trial version was released. Although it's rumoured you can play other games on this emulator by fiddling the ISO of a game you RIP to PC. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it does work :shock:
I haven't tried playing another CD with CD-ice, but I did at one point ask Pete if there were multiple checks done on the image, and he said yes. Now, he could've been lying to keep people from trying to get other games to work.

Calypso
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Calypso » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 pm

I haven't tried playing another CD with CD-ice, but I did at one point ask Pete if there were multiple checks done on the image, and he said yes. Now, he could've been lying to keep people from trying to get other games to work.
Some years back I've tried it and it worked, don't know anymore which one I used.
Probably one that used a little bit of space on my harddisk.
I had to delete the Rise of the Robots image to make space for another one.
In those days I didn't have a writer to backup.
Afterwards I bought my first CD-i player and didn't use it anymore. :roll: