DVD + CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
InTheSand
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by InTheSand » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:53 pm

Hi,

Were there any plans for a combined DVD player and CD-i unit? I seem to remember reading something about this about 10 years ago, but it may have just been rumours on the Internet...

- Ali

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 pm

Hello Ali,

Please post any discussions in the Philips CD-i Forum, the CD-i Information Centre Forums are meant as a reference resource only which your welcome to add to with meaningfull new information. Keep discussions in the Philips CD-i Forum though, house rules :wink:
Last edited by Devin on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:23 am

ah well, it's a nice topic to discuss! When CD-i died Philips 'promised' to make its DVD players (seen as the follow-up to cd-i) compatible with old cd-i titles. Never has this been applied, however. Ofcourse later they referred to the compatibility with MPEG1 (VCD).

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Wasn't the CDI-670 able to read DVD's?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:36 pm

I don't believe it was a DVD player in itself, but it did allow control over a professional DVD player. Check it out on the ICDIA at the bottom of the Philips professional and authoring CD-i players page.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Does anyone have info what this "control over a DVD player" meant? Was it simply a link via the serial port, or was something more involved, e.g. using the DVD player output as external video, perhaps?

InTheSand
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by InTheSand » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:11 am

Hi,

Apologies for posting in the wrong place, I meant to reply to an existing post with this, rather than to create a new topic... oops! :oops:

I had an early (either 1st gen or 2nd gen) Philips DVD player and its support for VCD was very basic to say the least. I missed the colourful CD-i menus of professionally produced VCDs, so ended up continuing to use the CD-i itself for most VCD stuff.

The DVD player wouldn't even play CD-R or CD-RW media, but I suspect that was due to it only having a single laser. The player itself started to die gradually a few months after its warranty period and eventually would hardly play any DVDs... I've been put off Philips products ever since!

Having said that, I still have a soft spot for the CD-i, of course!

- Ali