New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
twel
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by twel » Sat May 13, 2006 11:10 am

hi,
i´m new to this forum. i´m a videogame collector with a special favor for the cdi. so far i have about 45 games, many vcds and:
philips cdi 450
philips cdi 450 (vobis/highscreen)
philips cdi 370
lg gdi 700
anybody else from germany?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat May 13, 2006 11:13 am

twel wrote:philips cdi 450 (vobis/highscreen)
Nice catch, along with the GDI 700. I'm always playing on that model!

Not too many from Germany but maybe a few, alot of our members are Dutch with the odd Englishman 8)
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

twel

Post by twel » Sat May 13, 2006 11:46 am

well i have never seen another one in germany ... i believe that the highscreen model is more common in germany (each major city had a vobis ofice in the 90s). i am particulary interested in the other goldstar/lg models (and some issues of the uk cdi magazine which i don´t have) but had no luck so far. i also use the gdi for playing ... it even plays wacky worlds and backup copies (hope it is allowed to post that ...)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat May 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Yes backup copies are fine as long as they are intended to maintain the originals!

Besides the LG GDI700 I have a Philips 370 which is basically a GDI1000 with a non-LG/Goldstar label. Also have a 450 complete with the Goldstar logo all the way from America. Have some doubles of the CD-i UK Magazine if your looking for a trade?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat May 13, 2006 7:21 pm

twel wrote:anybody else from germany?
Ja, ich. :) Sind wohl auch noch ein paar andere aus Deutschland hier angemeldet, von denen ist aber sonst keiner aktiv.

twel

Post by twel » Sat May 13, 2006 7:36 pm

ah - schön zu lesen, dass es noch mehr interessierte gibt ... but i think we should keep the conversation in english. i have posted a new topic ...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat May 13, 2006 9:29 pm

The structure of language always fascinates, whenever I get a post like this I usually put it through AltaVistas' Babel Fish (any Douglas Adams fans here?) Anyway a rough translation of twels' reply and we get...

"ah - to read beautifully that it interested still more gives"

I guess the translation program is more of a brute force tool lacking the sophistication of a person translating! :roll:

twel

Post by twel » Sun May 14, 2006 7:35 am

now that is interesting ... i´m studying german linguistics and used the tool in an essay. i used it to translate a poem by morgenstern and the result was quite good! but in many other cases it was total rubbish.

Jam00789

Post by Jam00789 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:13 am

New here... Have a nice stack of CD-I games sitting around... unfortunately can't play any of them because the past 2 players I bought off Ebay both came unable to read discs. :( Hoping the 3rd time is a charm, as another is on the way. Got my fingers crossed!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:00 pm

That's a pity Jam, getting 2 players via ebay only to find out both aren't working! I recommend you should visit the technical support forum, maybe the problems are easily fixed... Got any luck with the third one?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:03 pm

I expect they were all described as "In Mint Condition" as well right! It's really terrible how some auctions are described the amount of times i've seen items given a 10/10 rating for general condition only to get a mankey cartridge or scratched CD with the case falling apart is not real.

Jam00789

Post by Jam00789 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Yep, finally got a working player last week! It's about time. :) I guess the other two will sit around in case I even need a spare part or something... Got to spend a bit of time with it so far, brings back some memories. Fun times!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:23 pm

Which games gave you these fun times :)

Jam00789

Post by Jam00789 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:25 am

Well spent about 2 hours the other night playing Dragons Lair 2 and Space Ace. Forgot how damn frustrating those games can be at times! Played a bit of Mad Dog McCree, but I need to get a gun, it's too annoying without. Also messed around with Burn Cycle, and Voyeur 1, which seemed like it could be interesting, but it was late and was passing out at that point. Oh, and I also learned that sometimes it's OK to believe what you read... Zelda: Wand of Gamelon is HORRID! Haha! Had a good laugh though, might have to pick up Faces of Evil, I'm betting it's just as "good" :)

Anyone played the Clue game? My girl and I play the board games all the time, curious how it plays on CDI...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:30 am

I don't really enjoy the Clue games, they are a bit outdated and boring in my opinion. Stick to the board game if you want to save the love you have for it :)

Both Zelda's were released at the same time (more or less) - When titles went over a 1 million budget they were splitted in two episodes to earn more money with it. I don't think they are that bad, but I guess the comparison with other Zelda games you can't forget about. In that case, fair point....