Dolby Surround

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Dolby Surround

Post by Erronous » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 pm

On a demo discs there's a demo of Choas Control (really a short video) with Dolby surround. So has anyone seen this or any other CD-i game with Dolby Surround?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:12 pm

The 7th Guest has Dolby Surround... I've never noticed this with Chaos Control, however. It's not indicated on the box.

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:02 am

But is real dobly sorround, or false (sorround in stereo)?

Are you

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm

i have asked myself the same question, because on 'modest' cd-i players the only audio output is analogue in two channels. But some also have digital output, but I thought this was only for audio cd's. No clue at the moment :(

TerraTron
Burn:Cycle Activated

Dolby Surround explaned:

Post by TerraTron » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Ruekov wrote:But is real dobly sorround, or false (sorround in stereo)?

Are you
All dolby surround is based on stereo or 2 channel input only if you got an amplifier supporting Dolby Surround you will able to hear all input in a false simulated (by the amp) surround sound. I will show you how it works:

Dolby surround is based upon the (semi)quadrophonic technique.

the left and right channel are divided with each other so the back speaker will only give a sound that's harder on one of the channels:

So in my opinion all the games if played on a Dolby Amp will (if they have some kind of stereo effects) will give the full Dolby Surround sound.....

Maybe the CD-i titles that have the Dolby Surround logo on it were special designed for use with a Dolby system so the effects are more realistic.

Example of a special Dolby Surround effect: when you quickly switch a sound from the left to the right and back repeating you get the idea the sound is on top of you.....

I hope I gave you enough information...

TerraTron :wink:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks for that Arno; Good to see you around again.

Good old ICDIA also has something to say about it:

"3.12.1 Does CD-i support Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital or MPEG Multichannel?

Dolby Surround is an analogue encoding technique that allows for the storage or center and rear audio in addition to the normal left and right stereo signal. Every stereo audio carrier that provides for a high frequency audio reproduction can use Dolby Surround encoding. In CD-i, Dolby Surround can only be used for MPEG audio, since ADPCM does not offer the dynamic range that is necesary for the encoding of the additional channels. Most movies use Dolby Surround, as do several games such as Seventh Guest. Please be aware of the fact that Dolby Surround is an analogue matrixing technique, which does not add extra discrete audio channels.

Dolby Digital and MPEG Multichannel are audio encoding techniques that allow for discrete surround channels to be encoded individually. Ususally, this includes two front signals, two back signals, a center signal and a low-frequency subwoofer signal. Both techniques are widely used in DVD-Video. CD-i does not support either of them."

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Re: Dolby Surround explaned:

Post by Ruekov » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:37 am

Thanks for the information, TerraTron.

Exists other surrond? for example in 4, 5 chanels. But I never see a CDi player with digital out (or 4/5 channels out).

TerraTron
Burn:Cycle Activated

Other surround

Post by TerraTron » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:21 am

First there was Dolby surround:

Dolby used the same techniques as shown above, a simple decoder only filtering and deviding 2 stereo channels to one (2 speaker) mono back channel.

Then there was Dolby Prologic:

Used Almost the same techniques as Dolby surround but the decoder is more complexed resulting in 2 channel (stereo) back channels.

Then came Dolby Prologic 2.0:

The same but more secure decoder as Prologic (1)

All these systems above used analog 2 channel input.

The CD-i player can only support Dolby Surround so the 2 channel stereo signal is used to filter out the surround sound and give you 4 channels (2 stereo front and 2 mono back)

TerraTron