Snes Cd-Rom (another story)

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Another intake! click here
The proposed SNES add-on:

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:34 pm

In Digital Pictures headquarters, the people of Zito's studio was working some time in a "future" Nintendo Cd Machine with CDi characteristics. But after the relase of Night Trap and controversy (in USA), nintendo refused to have a game maked by Digital Pictures.
After, Tom Zito refused to make game to Nintendo's partners (Philips is in the list).

In other hand, Nintendo was bought the 7th guest rights for making a version for his machine to Trilobyte studios. After ninendo sell his rights to Philips.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:43 pm

Sounds interesting Ruekov! Do you have a link? What list do you refer to?

What titles is Digital Pictures responsible for?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:01 pm

More stories about the 'Super-CD'
here and this thread (other forum!)

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 am

Bas wrote:Sounds interesting Ruekov! Do you have a link? What list do you refer to?

What titles is Digital Pictures responsible for?

List: Sony (:lol:) at the end, Philips, Nec (?) and Nintendo.

I talked (or interviewed) a one devoloper of this terror factory. At the start, Nintendo was interested to doing a conversation of swever shark (hasbro was devoloped this game for the VHS console project named NEMO).

But the bad lucky (or good) was stared. Nintendo problems with SNES CD, and usa Senate problems (and nintendo publicity) broke the digital pictures and nintendo's (partners included) relation. Philips released CDi machine, zito search the afford of this machine. The first game to test the posibilities was "Night Trap", but was very slow (?) for controls the game. Zito refused at the end make CDi conversion because was a Nintendo friend machine.

This person, also talks about the start of playstation and unreleased game: Maximum Surge. He says: "Make one game for Sony PSX was the same to make game for CDi - at the start, sony play station will be a CDi Player (is it true?). After sony talks with Zito: PSX will not a fmv console.

But in google is as well possible to read the Zito's problems with nintendo Nintendo:
« En voulant sortir une version moins gore de Mortal Kombat sur leur console 16 bits, Nintendo fit une gaffe terrible. Sega vendit quatre fois plus de MK sur sa console. »
Because:
Digital Pictures was one of the very first software houses contacted by Sega of America to produce FMV titles for Sega CD. The company already had two on the shelf - Sewer Shark and Night Trap - which had originally been produced for Hasbro's Project NEMO and where then offered to Nintendo for its CD-ROM system. The latter deal fell through as the Sony/Nintendo partnership collapsed, so the only major player left on the console field was Sega. "The incredible irony of it was that the video we plugged in the Super Nintendo was just terrific because Super NES could display 256 colors at once," DP's Tom Zito would later recall. "Sega CD ... had this horrible grainy look to the images."
http://www.defunctgames.com/onrunningfe ... ds-30.php4
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=279
http://www.sega-16.com/Feature-%20Sega% ... actoid.htm
http://time-proxy.yaga.com/time/archive ... ernalid=AC

Sorry for my english. If you have problems, I will be solve it :roll: :P

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:56 am

Bas wrote:More stories about the 'Super-CD'
here and this thread (other forum!)

I actually have this orignal article still! very interesting for the time!
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Captain J wrote:I actually have this orignal article still! very interesting for the time!
It looks like the magazine hints to more with preview content of the games, you should do a complete scan of this article sometime Captain J for our curiosity!!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 pm

"The games will be playable on Philips CD-i .. CD-XA compatible"...
So this turns back up again too....

Captain J
Softech Recruit

Post by Captain J » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Devin wrote:
Captain J wrote:I actually have this orignal article still! very interesting for the time!
It looks like the magazine hints to more with preview content of the games, you should do a complete scan of this article sometime Captain J for our curiosity!!
I will do that for sure! Now if I could only find time to go though my 1 billion magazines! :wink:
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm

if you're spanish this looks like a nice story.

Lots of pics! Anyone care to translate? (perhaps just a babelfish!)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:03 pm

a very interesting topic is going on here

Apparently they 'found' a prototype of the SNES add-on system at the classic gaming expo, there are some pics which are (ofcourse?) very vague but the details are pretty sweet. Contradictions all over the place, this seems like a topic for endless discussion!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:25 pm

I think that was the year I attended the Expo from the look of those pictures!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"