The disc maybe dirty

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
CD-i_Gamer
Burn:Cycle Activated

The disc maybe dirty

Post by CD-i_Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:23 am

I have a CD-i 210 which has worked perfectly until recently. When playing some games it suddenly locks/or says "the disc may be dirty". Most of the discs are in good shape.

My guess is the lens needs cleaning, but how to do it ?. I have red lenscleaners are bad for players, the proper way to do it is to use a qtip and isopropanol. Compressed air might also do the trick sometimes.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:37 am

using a so-called 'qtip' is not good for your lens either, but just the one time you can easily run a clean-disc. It may damage your lens when you do that every day, yes. You don't have to use isopropanol (may be hard to come by), just ethanol or acetone works very well.

Watch out when the player locks itself, it's not a problem with the battery... When the timekeeper battery is out of power it may come up with these messages.

CD-i_Gamer

Post by CD-i_Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:16 pm

The time and date is correct i tried to remove old savegames and that helped a bit but still gettings messages about dirty discs. I guess i should be looking at changing the timekeeper battery. I found instructions for how to do it but it didnt seems as easy as changing the CMOS battery of a PC :-(

I might try using a cleaning disc as well, but number 1 should be to replace the battery.

CD-i_Gamer

Post by CD-i_Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Mostly happens with videobased games. Havent open my CD-i 210 yet but if you have anything to add please do that might help me out. If i feel its a big task for me to do on my own, any hints where i should turn to ?.

The guide i found is at http://www.theworldofcdi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:06 am

you be sure it is the problem that will solve it! it's not a real easy task for sure... the guide is a little clumsy at times but the essence it right about in it. Unfortunately, the support is very low, I tried to ask a few questions but I got no response... However, I think we all can help each other out, just be sure you don't ruin the player inside :D