Won't play and memory error (Magnavox 450)

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Nolgthorn
Burn:Cycle Activated

Won't play and memory error (Magnavox 450)

Post by Nolgthorn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 am

Hi all,

I have recently become an avid fan of the CDI system so I bought a Magnavox CDI 450 online. It arrived today and it turns on alright, it seems to be recognizing when there is a disc in it and I can make changes to the options screen.

I can open and close the lid, the screen will react accordingly with the words "DISC" or "OPEN" appearing on it.

The problem is I see no option to start the game. I've tried games that require the DVC and games that do not. I've tried three controllers, I don't know what else to do nothing is selectable on the screen except options and there aren't buttons on the system.

Is the system broken?

Also sometimes when I turn it on it says that I have used up all of the memory, so I have to turn it off and on again. Sometimes when it does this the space indicator says 100% and sometimes it says 0% space used but I still have to turn it off and on for the message to go away.

How do I play my games?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:51 am

Like XBOX 360 has its 'ring of death', CD-i has a 'battery of death' which means when it runs out of power, it takes the CD-i player with it. However, if you're a clever guy you can repair the battery by replacing the battery unit. It's not that easy however as the battery is molded into its case, called the timekeeper battery. Maybe this repair guide (Origine from ICDIA) can help you a little ;)

Nobody has made some decent inside pictures of the various systems but I'm sure eventually they'll appear :D

Nolgthorn

Post by Nolgthorn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks Bas.

So from someone on Ebay who said it was adult owned and in great shape, you would say that they were lying to me? In your professional opinion of course. ;) I think I paid a higher than average price for this 450 and the tray door doesn't open like it should I have to pry it a little bit.

The guide you referred me to seems to address the issues regarding the memory error, but I only get that some times.

If I could I would still like the chance to play some of these games that I own and that error only comes up some of the time. I can't figure out how to launch my game the other times because there is nothing on my screen that says it would do that. It just says "DISC" or "OPEN" and isn't selectable, is there something I am missing?

yokohama

Re: Won't play and memory error (Magnavox 450)

Post by yokohama » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 am

Last edited by yokohama on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nolgthorn

Post by Nolgthorn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:35 am

Ah so I see.

I don't suppose there is a known fix for this problem is there? It's got to be something wrong with the cd-drive component, I have looked around but did not find anything on fixing it.

retrobod

Post by retrobod » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Nolgthorn wrote:Ah so I see.

I don't suppose there is a known fix for this problem is there? It's got to be something wrong with the cd-drive component, I have looked around but did not find anything on fixing it.
I Too have this problem with x 2 players any help for me too?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:01 pm

It seems unlikely the lens is dirty, but maybe worth a shot to clean it?

Secondly, can this be the result of an empty timekeeper battery as well ?