Broken Roller Controllers

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
tuxiscute
Burn:Cycle Activated

Broken Roller Controllers

Post by tuxiscute » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey CD-i fans,

after having spent my own childhood plying Berenstain Bears and the Crayon Factory, my father thought it would be fun to get the CD-i out for my little sister. However, both Roller Controllers that he already had wouldn't work! He ordered a new one, same problem. Then he ordered one from the States which worked for a little while, but guess what, it broke again!! Does anyone one know what might be going on with them?? My dad is growing very frustrated because of this! He has a theory stating that it has got to do with condensators on the inside of the CD-i. My idea is more that the CD-iplayer somehow corrupts them. If anyone has any idea how to fix them they would be greatly appreciated!

-- Anna

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:42 am

Hey Anna
I recently did the same thing: Digging up our Roller Controller. Funny thing that one didn't work either. But tell me, what doesn't work with yours? Does it not respond to anything?

What I did with mine is open it up, removing the screws, getting out the big blue ball and have a look inside. It's a pretty 'simple' controller like the trackball (which does still work here, so I doubt if the CD-i is corrupting them just because it's 2010 or something ;))

I basically cleaned the roller controller thoroughly and that did it for me: It's working like a charm again.

Maybe that helps, but I'd like to hear other peoples' experience with this!

tuxiscute
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by tuxiscute » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Bas wrote:Hey Anna
I recently did the same thing: Digging up our Roller Controller. Funny thing that one didn't work either. But tell me, what doesn't work with yours? Does it not respond to anything?

What I did with mine is open it up, removing the screws, getting out the big blue ball and have a look inside. It's a pretty 'simple' controller like the trackball (which does still work here, so I doubt if the CD-i is corrupting them just because it's 2010 or something ;))

I basically cleaned the roller controller thoroughly and that did it for me: It's working like a charm again.

Maybe that helps, but I'd like to hear other peoples' experience with this!
We got one of them working again! Dont know what we did, if anything. One only moves the cursors up and down and the rest does not work at all. I'll suggest that my dad cleans the rollercontrollers, I hope it will work. Thanks for sharing your experiences.