CD-i 910 Service Mode

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Nintendud
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i 910 Service Mode

Post by Nintendud » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 am

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Philips CD-i 910, and it does not spin up discs. It would try, and then say ERROR on its display. I believe I've isolated the problem to the motor, which I have ordered a replacement for.

While trying to Google for fixes, I stumbled upon a service manual for it, which was originally uploaded to RapidShare, but I've reuploaded it here:
http://nintendud.net/web/Philips_CD910_920.pdf

On page 16, it includes a flowchart and what seems like instructions on how to enter service mode:

"PRESS 2 KEYS SIMULTANEOUSLY:
PLAY, STOP, NEXT, PREVIOUS, + POWER ON"

However, no matter how hard I tried, I could not get it into service mode. I tried every combination of PLAY, STOP, NEXT, and PREVIOUS while powering it on.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever successfully get their CD-i into service mode? It looks very useful for diagnosing issues.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:53 am

Hi,
The service Manual you found unfortunately is not for a CD-i 910, but for a CD910 Compact Disc Audio Player.

That's why it doesn't work....

Nintendud
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Nintendud » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:09 pm

So THAT explains it! Darn similar model numbers/designs...

Thanks for the clarification.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:05 pm

You can get into the service mode of a CD-i player by connecting a special "service plug" to one of the pointing device ports (don't know which one offhand).

I think the plug needs to have the TxD and RxD pins connected.