CD-i 210 IC bridge cable and PSU question

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Adr990
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i 210 IC bridge cable and PSU question

Post by Adr990 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:46 pm

I just picked up a CD-i 210 and found this wire bridging pin 10 and 12 on this chip:

I tried searching for the description on the IC, but I have had no luck finding a datasheet. I have a Service Manual for the 210 as well, but I can't seem to find anything on this chip in there either I think.

Anyone who has an idea what this bridge does, let alone maybe have more info on this IC like a datasheet?

---
Edit: I just measured the PSU, the green cable measures 23.2v DC, it turns on just fine, but what component would need that kind of voltage? The servo of the disc drive uses 12v or 9v max I can imagine...

Thanks in advance CD-i fans. :)
I fix Timekeepers and noisy/faulty disc trays/readers.
Looking for a complete games list of the CD-i. :lol:

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Re: CD-i 210 IC bridge cable and PSU question

Post by cdifan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:25 pm

That is the System ROM chip (part 7240 in the datasheet), the wire bridge shorts the A0 input (address line zero) to GND, which makes NO sense.
This should make the player not boot and might coincidentally damage the 68070 chip (part 7210) that drives this address line.
Unless a board trace is cut somewhere? There should be one from pin 10 of the ROM to pin 32 (A1) of the nearby 68070...

Source: CD-I 210/40 datasheet, downloadable from www.freeservicemanuals.info and from ICDIA here: http://www.icdia.co.uk/svcmanuals.
The board map containing the ROM and the 68070 is on page 76 of that PDF, the corresponding circuit diagram is on page 77.

This *is* a 210/40, right?

Adr990
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: CD-i 210 IC bridge cable and PSU question

Post by Adr990 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:26 am

Thanks for your reply and in-depth info. :)

This is the label on the back, it should be:

This is the PCB under the 7240 part:

It works fine, really, just had to clean the lens, hah. (And drill a hole into the Timekeeper later to connect a new coin battery.)

I was starting to think this was the ROM, it doesn't make any sense no, especially when it's bridging A0 to ground apparently.
I'll try to undo the wire tomorrow, see if it makes any difference, unless I can spot a cut tomorrow, at the moment I cannot.

Anyway, I have to learn how to read those large datasheets better, I haven't found 7240 myself yet, it should be under chapter 6, correct? :P (cdi210.pdf)
I cannot really find any page numbering, other than the chapter numbers.
I fix Timekeepers and noisy/faulty disc trays/readers.
Looking for a complete games list of the CD-i. :lol: