cdi 210/45 door operation

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
shogun
Burn:Cycle Activated

cdi 210/45 door operation

Post by shogun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi. Hope someone can help on this, my CDi has started to muck about after switch on. The door will open and close the once and then after that not respond to the open/close button. After switching off again and leaving off for a while before switch on it will open again once powered up. The discs once in also do not read correctly, sometimes they are read as audio and others CDI ?? I have a quite new lazer fitted and do not suspect that, it appears more that the door logic is over riding everything.
Thanks in advance for any advice. :D

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:19 pm

Seems to be lots of problems associated with the 210 players. My 210/40 drive likes to roll out whenever the player is tilted even slightly!!

I'm not sure where your specific problem lies if you have a new laser, are you certain it was installed properly? Maybe the replacement laser you have is not the specific model required for your CD-i player, i'm aware of some odd variations that might raise compatibility issues between players. Best compare the new laser to your old one and make sure the whole setup is identical wire for wire.

shogun

Post by shogun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:25 pm

yes the lazer has worked fine for some time and was a perfect replacement from Philips. Wire for wire etc. the new lazer was spot on and working fine, I am more convinced of a micro switch failure, does anyone know how they operate as to door logic info ?

davcrag

Door problem

Post by davcrag » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:56 pm

Have you tried using the door switch without a disc in the cd-i? It is very common for the cd-i 210 units when the laser pickup system does not read the disc correctly, it will essentially "lock up" the system and you will need to cycle the power to get it to work again.
My guess is that you have a laser problem. The laser may be out of alignment too.
None of this is a really easy problem to fix especially if you dont have the proper equipment to do so.
:cry:

One thing you will be able to see if the laser is trying to read a disc is the platter will continue to move until it locks up. Try it with a disc and without. Obviously you will need to do this with the lid off. :wink:
Craig

shogun

Post by shogun » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:25 am

HI, thanks for that. Yes I have tried with and without a disc, the same appears to happen with both. Disc reading as you say does appear to be a problem I will bring home a scope from work and check the digital waveform on pick up etc. I have no problems with the testing I am an Avionics Eng with access to just about anything and everything. The thing that leads away from the pick-up is that the unit does exactly the same without a disc inserted. I am leading towords the carriage micro-switch does anyone know the door logic on closure and opening as it appears to only have one contact but operates for open and close (forward and reverse drive) ?? On this model alignment appears pretty simple with a belt drive mech on the carriage and a sledge for the pick-up assy, this has not been a problem and has not been moved or forced. I seem to remember the 205 having the earlier pick-up type assy that had more alignment problems than the 210 units . Any experts out there with repair tips ???