Battle Chess - Lost in Translation

A community focused CD-i website since early 2001 The Black Moon Project has delivered diverse content. From a simple catalogue code to uncovering the lost CD-i Mario game of Nintendo fame in Super Mario's Wacky Worlds. Interviews, Articles and Game Guides are just a few of the resources available. If you have any comments on Black Moon then leave them here.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Battle Chess - Lost in Translation

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 am

Following the chance discovery that the CD-i conversion for Battle Chess actually existed in prototype form we at Black Moon have been feverishly writing up an article over the past month gradually piecing together all the resources we could find. This includes some very nice in game screenshots, picture of the prototype disc itself and also some movie clips. We were fortunate enough to find the lead programmer who worked on this project who was willing to submit to a brief interview. You can find this in the Articles section or directly here, many thanks to Calypso who brought this prototype to our attention along with all the screens and footage.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:12 am

Such a sad history for this great game... But as i assume the proto game isn't actually playable because of AI bugs?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:24 am

Hmm how can I compare.

I guess it's like a dad playing football ruthlessly against his 3 year old son. It's simply not a challenge yet looks to be a fully formed game if not for the rubbish AI and some graphical glitches!!

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:28 am

Ehh, wasn't the AI in the normal (PC) battlechess game also rubbish? The point is for the pieces to die in all sorts of ways, not to play a good game of chess.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:18 pm

By the sounds of what Jeff was saying the code was pretty much a mess in every version!!

The only platform i've played this game on is the Amiga when I was way to young to know what was going on anyway. Just liked initiating the cool animations in as many combinations as possible :D