Store Kiosk Disks?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Lios
Burn:Cycle Activated

Store Kiosk Disks?

Post by Lios » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Anyone have any? I don't mean like kiosk demos of cd-i games, but stuff like this "K-mart Battery Center" Disk I found in the DVS-200 I won on ebay. Is there any interest in preserving this stuff?

My disk has the following on the front:

K-mart Battery Center

Digital Video (with the digital video logo above it)
CD-i logo
Version 3.0; 2/2000

OCI marketing Customer Service Help: 1-800-782-7273

Upon booting the disk, it automatically starts playing a video, and says to "Press select" to start. I am not sure what button select is on a touchpad controller, but was not able to get it to respond with a controller or the controls on the front of the unit. I might need the remote, or keyboard. Probably something proprietary to whatever type generic kiosks k-marts used in 2000.

I've already ripped an image of it, it's 122 MB compressed in a rar archive. If anyone is interested I can upload it and link the download here.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Maybe a touch screen application?

Lios
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Lios » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I doubt that. If that were the case there would probably be an interface with actual buttons or similar on screen. The message to press the select button to begin fades in and out at different points of the video.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:59 pm

A touchscreen is seen as standard cd-i controller, more likely it used some custom hardware and tests for that. I also have a couple of discs which don't go beyong the "press a button" phase. It could be as simple as a button connected to the serial port or like the photoplay discs which need a special board with codes.