Arcade classics 2 player Ms. Pacman

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Arcade classics 2 player Ms. Pacman

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm

How fun in this mode? I've got a splitter coming to me and (maybe) a copy of this compilation. I've got multiple versions of the games already, but its 2 player co-op Ms. Pacman that has me excited (plus its one of only a hnadful of true 2 player games for CD-i if I'm not mistaken)

So, any thoughts? Is it good fun, or dissapointing? How does the CD-i port compare w/others?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:57 pm

The CD-i port is made with love, and it shows. Considering the limits of the hardware this is a very nice production. It's been too long to remember the two-player function, but Seb tried (with trouble, I remember from his video)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Video? You don't have a link by any chance do you Bas? I've looked on Youtube and there are only a few vids for the CD-i version, none of which show the 2 player co-op mode. (The Half Blind Gamer makes mention of it in his review, but the video doesn't show it.)

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:39 am

I did show some footage of it in my video, while talking about. It's about 7:04 minutes in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xupDxPnTGMk

I'm not actually sure how I finally got it to work though. Sometimes those back ports work and you don't need a splitter, and on other systems they don't work. Drives me nuts! I'm pretty sure I didn't have a splitter at the time.

Anyway, as I explain it there, the co-op mode is kind of fun. But the CD-i couldn't handle zooming out I think, at least they didn't add that. So the camera keeps focus on player one, and the second player can 'drop off' the screen, which is really annoying when there are ghosts around there! It would have been so much better if they would have either made a smaller maze that fits on one screen, or zoomed the whole thing out so that the maze fits on one screen.
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 am

Hey thanks, not sure how I missed that one ... :roll:

Btw, I really like your video reviews! :) I've been watching quite a few of them since I finally got a working cd-i player again. Your "lets play" vids are great too. I've gotten stuck in Zelda Wand of Gamelon, so I''ve been checking them out to see where I messed up.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 am

My experience with the CD-i splitter is that is does work as long as you only connect or diconnect it while the player is totally OFF. When the player is ON and you switch something, plug out the splitter or change the controller, it doesn't work anymore.